• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would like to reverse the adoption of my Step father's name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dutch724

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Adoption took place in NC, I now live in Indiana.

I feel that I was too young to know what I was doing. My Mom pushed me into being adopted by her new husband. Now, that I'm older and understand what I did, I would like to change my name back to my real father's name.

What do I need to do to reverse what my mother has done?

Thank you,

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
You can't 'undo' the adoption, but you are free to change your name if you are above the age of majority in the state you where you reside.

dutch724

So what your telling me. Is that my Mom got away with pushing her child into taking on the step father's name and there is no way to reverse that?

Does that mean I will have to go through the courts to change my name back to my real father's name and do the same for my wife and kids?
Or can I just change my name through the courts and seeing I'm married my wife's last name would change automatically, and for my kids I can just adopt them and their last name would change. just like my Mom did to me when I was a minor?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
So what your telling me. Is that my Mom got away with pushing her child into taking on the step father's name and there is no way to reverse that?

Does that mean I will have to go through the courts to change my name back to my real father's name and do the same for my wife and kids?
Or can I just change my name through the courts and seeing I'm married my wife's last name would change automatically, and for my kids I can just adopt them and their last name would change. just like my Mom did to me when I was a minor?
The adoption is a done deal. Let it go.

If you change your name, then your wife has to change her name and your children will have to have their names changed if you want them all to match.

Indiana Code 34-28-2

Verified Petition for Name Change for an Adult

milspecgirl

you could do an adult adoption and have your bio dad adopt you back and change your name. however, your wife and kids will also need court orders changing their names

nextwife

The adoption would/should have comprised of more than merely a name change.

When stepdad adopted you, he became your legal, your "real father". Your biodad remains your biological father. Your dad became legally responsible for helping support mom you, and your biodad relinguished all of his legal RESPONSIBILITIES.

Last edited:

justalayman

E=dutch724;2600251]So what your telling me. Is that my Mom got away with pushing her child into taking on the step father's name and there is no way to reverse that?
actually it wasn't the child's choice to begin. A step parent applies to adopt and the courts determine if they can adopt. The child does not get to control the action.

To make it "official", yes but that does not change who is legally considered to be your father.

Or can I just change my name through the courts and seeing I'm married my wife's last name would change automatically, and for my kids I can just adopt them and their last name would change. just like my Mom did to me when I was a minor?[
you can change your name independently of your wife. There is no reason her name would change because yours did. When you get married, there is a unique allowance that allows the name change. It is about the only time there is such an allowance. Even when getting divorced, one has to ask the court to allow a name change.

are these also your children? If so, you can go through the courts and apply for a name change for them as well. If they aren't your children, there is nothing you can do to change their names.

milspecgirl

in some states, once a child is a certain age, they also have to consent to the adoption. I know in TN, for example, a child who is 14 or older must also consent to the adoption.

justalayman

in some states, once a child is a certain age, they also have to consent to the adoption. I know in TN, for example, a child who is 14 or older must also consent to the adoption.
Really? I'll have to take a look.

dang, I guess I muffed that one bad:

Consent of Minors
Nearly all States,(2) the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Territories require that older children give consent to their adoption. Approximately(3) 24 States,(4) the District of Columbia, and the Virgin Islands set the age of consent at 14 years; 18 States,(5) American Samoa, and Guam at 12 years; and 7 States,(6) the Northern Mariana Islands, and Puerto Rico require consent of children age 10 years and above. In some States, the requirement can be dispensed with if the child lacks the mental capacity to consent,(7) or the court finds it in the best interest of the child to dispense with consent.(8) Colorado requires that the child be provided with counseling prior to giving consent.
Personally, I believe such laws are foolish. It allows a child (with a childs mind) to disrupt an action that is generally beyond their understanding. I can see a court speaking with the child to determine the childs feelings and concerns but to actually allow the child to prevent the adoption; no way.

Last edited:

dutch724

After reading all this great information that I have been given by you folks. My head is spinning on which way I should go. I would like to take the cheapest and best avenue to get my last name changed along with my wife and my kids.
Would this task require a lawyer or can I do this myself?
If I don't use a lawyer would the task take much longer to complete?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What are the benefits of having my Bio Dad adopt me back and what are the negs of just changing my name through the courts?
It has to do with your rights as a descendant...
I really don't know your overall situation so I couldn't say more than that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">