• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrapping up loose ends

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Duckless

What is the name of your state? Washington

I have had a stepparent adoption finalized last year. I need to contact a court in Pennsylvania to submitt the paper work to drop nay exsiting orders they have on the books. Custody and/or contempt charges. What are the procedures I need to follow? and will that ensure if there are any future matters Washington state will have exclusive juridiction?

Thank you in advance for your input.

tigger22472

Duckless said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

I have had a stepparent adoption finalized last year. I need to contact a court in Pennsylvania to submitt the paper work to drop nay exsiting orders they have on the books. Custody and/or contempt charges. What are the procedures I need to follow? and will that ensure if there are any future matters Washington state will have exclusive juridiction?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Could you explain better?

Do you have a copy of the finalization? If so this should be all you need to do show in order to stop all existing orders.

Duckless

The adoption has been final since September of 2004. I realize now nothing is automatic so I want to make sure any exsiting orders in another state are officially null and void.

tigger22472

Duckless said:
The adoption has been final since September of 2004. I realize now nothing is automatic so I want to make sure any exsiting orders in another state are officially null and void.

Ok.. are you the adoptive parent or spouse of or the prior NCP?

Again, if you have any paperwork proving when the adoption was finalized this should be or should have been faxed to the county in which handles any support issues as that is the only one that really matters. The adoption overrules any other prior orders and it's not necessary to contact any other then the cs bureau to cancel that order.

A phone call should be enough to see if the support order (if there was one) has been voided.

Duckless

I am the ex spouse of the NCP. Child support is a non issue. I am concerned about the courts in another state having custody orders on the books and are unaware that the NCP rights have been canceled. So he doesn't go to that court because he has a hair up his ass to f**k with me. I want him to have no ammo to come back at me with this issue. i just want to cover my ass.

LdiJ

Duckless said:
I am the ex spouse of the NCP. Child support is a non issue. I am concerned about the courts in another state having custody orders on the books and are unaware that the NCP rights have been canceled. So he doesn't go to that court because he has a hair up his ass to f**k with me. I want him to have no ammo to come back at me with this issue. i just want to cover my ass.
Ok...so what you are saying is that its your husband who has adopted the child?....and you have the final orders to prove it?

Then you are done. There is nothing else that you need to do. Should the bio-dad attempt to file anything, you can simply have it dismissed based on the adoption. The adoption itself automatically nullified any past orders.

tigger22472

LdiJ said:
Ok...so what you are saying is that its your husband who has adopted the child?....and you have the final orders to prove it?

Then you are done. There is nothing else that you need to do. Should the bio-dad attempt to file anything, you can simply have it dismissed based on the adoption. The adoption itself automatically nullified any past orders.

I agree, this issue is moot and there's nothing more to do or that needs to be done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">