• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful step parent adoption and abuse. Long story.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kpope87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Ok so in 2008 my husband signed adoption papers to his oldest daughter. She was to be adopted by her step dad. At the time we were told it would be so she could have good health insurance through his military insurance, for travelling purposes as they were "supposed " to go overseas etc and that it would change nothing and that he would still get to see his daughter when they were in town. (we lived in Alabama and they had just moved to Colorado) the mothers other words at the time were "it will get rid of your child support too and I won't have to have you locked up for your arrears" (side note: he was paying his job wasn't sending it at the time though and he has arrears built up. And I was pregnant) initially my husband told her where to shove it. Where upon she promised to keep him incarcerated and unable to care for his infant son and the child we were to have. Shortly after he had lost his joband we were homeless and expecting a baby very shortly. Believing he would still have a connection with his daughter and the lies he was told he thought it would be in her best interest to sign the papers. So he did. His entire family was told the same lies including they would continue to get to see her. As soon as the adoption was final he got a phone call and was told he would never see his daughter again. The only member of his family to continue to see her was his mom (the daughters biological grandmother).
Fast forward three years later. The mother ends up working at a security company with us and admits freely and only once that the adoption was all a lie. Nothing changes though and we cant find a local attorney to take case.
Fast forward to June of 2016. We receive a message from birth mother to call. When she doesn't answer immediately we call my husbands mom. Find out that the daughter (now almost 13 at time) has claimed her adopted dad has abused her. She's scared and shaking and has bruises and marks. So we keep in touch with mom and grandmom as grandmom and daughter start a case with cps and sherrif. At this point we were staying out of it because it was being handled. The next day cps returns child to the household of the accused abuser. Three days later she recants her story. We were involved at this point and making noise at cps and courthouse. We applied for custody along with grandmother. The mom lives in calIfornia at time and doesn't have physical custody of either of her kids. We go to first court hearing. Cps requests to be removed because they find no evidence. Guardian ad litem requests counselling but remain in home because they see no evidence (take note there are pictures on file of bruising and the girls statements) they also request a hair follicle drug test from my husband and I with no reasonable cause but no one else in case including the alleged abuser. Grandmother is stripped down to supervised visits under third party (which isn't happening) and mother is stripped of everything but supervised visits. We are blocked completely though we were supposed to be brought up with counselor about best interest and were not. Adopted dad is to go to counseling too. They attend the same counselor. We have trial in February.

I know this transcends subject matters but my question is this: the mother, pos that she is, claims he was threatening her When she lies to my husband to get adoption done. However she won't speak out because she's afraid of him still even though she lives across country and he will make things difficult for her to see her son if she does. How do we prove the adoption wrongful with this issue? The only thing we can get are statements from other family members of what she said. This child desperately needs to be out of this household. The mother has stated in court that she won't uproot herself for those kids. We firmly believe we are the best place for her. We have two other girls who desperately want to I is their sister and my oldest has had therapy to learn to cope with her loss.

quincy

A single thread is all you need on this forum, Kpope87. Both the abuse issue and the adoption issue can be addressed for you in this thread. The forum members who are well-versed in these areas of the law will be by to help you soon.

Silverplum

Kpope87 said:

Ok so in 2008 my husband signed adoption papers to his oldest daughter. She was to be adopted by her step dad. At the time we were told it would be so she could have good health insurance through his military insurance, for travelling purposes as they were "supposed " to go overseas etc and that it would change nothing and that he would still get to see his daughter when they were in town. (we lived in Alabama and they had just moved to Colorado) the mothers other words at the time were "it will get rid of your child support too and I won't have to have you locked up for your arrears" (side note: he was paying his job wasn't sending it at the time though and he has arrears built up. And I was pregnant) initially my husband told her where to shove it. Where upon she promised to keep him incarcerated and unable to care for his infant son and the child we were to have. Shortly after he had lost his joband we were homeless and expecting a baby very shortly. Believing he would still have a connection with his daughter and the lies he was told he thought it would be in her best interest to sign the papers. So he did. His entire family was told the same lies including they would continue to get to see her. As soon as the adoption was final he got a phone call and was told he would never see his daughter again. The only member of his family to continue to see her was his mom (the daughters biological grandmother).
Summary: Dad allowed the adoption of his child and is now a legal stranger with no rights or obligations regarding that child. You have always been a legal stranger and remain the same.

Kpope87 said:
Fast forward three years later. The mother ends up working at a security company with us and admits freely and only once that the adoption was all a lie. Nothing changes though and we cant find a local attorney to take case.
Doesn't matter what Mom says. Doesn't your H have a copy of the paperwork that relieved him of responsibility for a child?

Kpope87 said:
Fast forward to June of 2016. We receive a message from birth mother to call. When she doesn't answer immediately we call my husbands mom. Find out that the daughter (now almost 13 at time) has claimed her adopted dad has abused her. She's scared and shaking and has bruises and marks. So we keep in touch with mom and grandmom as grandmom and daughter start a case with cps and sherrif. At this point we were staying out of it because it was being handled.
You both stayed out of it because neither of you had standing to do anything, and still don't.

Kpope87 said:
The next day cps returns child to the household of the accused abuser. Three days later she recants her story. We were involved at this point and making noise at cps and courthouse. We applied for custody along with grandmother. The mom lives in calIfornia at time and doesn't have physical custody of either of her kids. We go to first court hearing. Cps requests to be removed because they find no evidence. Guardian ad litem requests counselling but remain in home because they see no evidence (take note there are pictures on file of bruising and the girls statements) they also request a hair follicle drug test from my husband and I with no reasonable cause but no one else in case including the alleged abuser. Grandmother is stripped down to supervised visits under third party (which isn't happening) and mother is stripped of everything but supervised visits. We are blocked completely though we were supposed to be brought up with counselor about best interest and were not. Adopted dad is to go to counseling too. They attend the same counselor. We have trial in February.
You and/or your H filing for custody of that child is no different than if your mailman filed for custody of that child.

Kpope87 said:
I know this transcends subject matters but my question is this: the mother, pos that she is, claims he was threatening her When she lies to my husband to get adoption done. However she won't speak out because she's afraid of him still even though she lives across country and he will make things difficult for her to see her son if she does. How do we prove the adoption wrongful with this issue? The only thing we can get are statements from other family members of what she said. This child desperately needs to be out of this household. The mother has stated in court that she won't uproot herself for those kids. We firmly believe we are the best place for her. We have two other girls who desperately want to I is their sister and my oldest has had therapy to learn to cope with her loss.
Neither of you have any legal business or rights with that child. You can do nothing.

There was no loss: the child was adopted when you were pregnant, and the two children should not even know each other. How odd of you to encourage the idea of "loss."

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'd like to add that your tone towards the mother of this child is deplorable. If she's a POS, then you are saying the child is 1/2 of a POS.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Your husband chose to get rid of his daughter because he had you and newer children. Your husband made a decision to get rid of his daughter by signing the papers. She isn't his daughter any more.

Because there is no case. Your husband WILLINGLY AND VOLUNTARILY signed over his rights to the child. He gave her up.

Fast forward to June of 2016. We receive a message from birth mother to call. When she doesn't answer immediately we call my husbands mom. Find out that the daughter (now almost 13 at time) has claimed her adopted dad has abused her. She's scared and shaking and has bruises and marks. So we keep in touch with mom and grandmom as grandmom and daughter start a case with cps and sherrif. At this point we were staying out of it because it was being handled.
There was nothing for you to be in. This is NOT YOUR business. Nor is it your husband's. This is not his child.

The next day cps returns child to the household of the accused abuser. Three days later she recants her story. We were involved at this point and making noise at cps and courthouse. We applied for custody along with grandmother. The mom lives in calIfornia at time and doesn't have physical custody of either of her kids. We go to first court hearing. Cps requests to be removed because they find no evidence. Guardian ad litem requests counselling but remain in home because they see no evidence (take note there are pictures on file of bruising and the girls statements) they also request a hair follicle drug test from my husband and I with no reasonable cause but no one else in case including the alleged abuser. Grandmother is stripped down to supervised visits under third party (which isn't happening) and mother is stripped of everything but supervised visits. We are blocked completely though we were supposed to be brought up with counselor about best interest and were not. Adopted dad is to go to counseling too. They attend the same counselor. We have trial in February.
You should be blocked. You have nothing. You are no one. Your husband is no one.
If mom is a POS, your husband is a bigger POS. He willingly walked away from a child because of his own self interest. He didn't care enough about his child to stick around. What happened to the "infant son" -- two other girls? Your oldest has no loss. This child is no one to you all.

Zigner

The mother ... admits ... that the adoption was all a lie.
Please clarify - was there actually an adoption? If the answer is yes, then as you have been told here, your husband is a legal stranger to the child (along with the various other things he is). If the answer is "no, there was no adoption", then the answers will change. YOU, though, are a legal stranger either way.

Kpope87

When people get on for advice they don't exactly want to be drug through the mud. 1. It was not self interest and it was not for his other children. What part of homeless and jobless was not understood. To further that statement originally we were actually looking at my parents possibly having to take care of my oldest because of this. This was done because he was unable at that time to care for her and fully believed it was in her best interest based on the information he was given. Which was all false information

2. Yes the mother is a piece of work. Where she could have stepped in at the beginning of this and stopped it she didn't. She's done nothing but cuss this child for daring to be scared of this man and recasting and wants nothing to do with her because of it. When the court's told her it was in best interest to move back to Alabama from California she responded by asking why she would uproot her self for those kids.
3. I wasn't asking if there was anything we can do. I already know there is because I have done my research and spoken to multiple attorney's recently.
4. Good thing the judge and attorney we have chosen disagree with all of you on our place in this case. I believe the judges words to the adopted father's attorney when she tried to have is thrown out were "shut up. He has just as much place here, if not more, than everyone else".
5. We actually do have a case and have been told as such. My question that was not answered on the midst of pissed off responses because he dared buck against something when his daughter is being injured was how do you prove it when the mother is scared to speak up?

But thanks for reminding me that it's not just the idiots in Lee county that are blind to a child's abuse.

Zigner

Ahhh, you've got attorneys and judges on your side...yet you found it necessary to come to an internet forum to air the laundry.

Good day to you.

LdiJ

Ahhh, you've got attorneys and judges on your side...yet you found it necessary to come to an internet forum to air the laundry.

Good day to you.
Apparently Alabama does enforce some open adoption agreements therefore perhaps it was an open adoption agreement (it certainly sounds like it might have been) and that is why attorneys or judges feel that "he has the right to be there"?

Silverplum

When people get on for advice they don't exactly want to be drug through the mud. 1. It was not self interest and it was not for his other children. What part of homeless and jobless was not understood. To further that statement originally we were actually looking at my parents possibly having to take care of my oldest because of this. This was done because he was unable at that time to care for her and fully believed it was in her best interest based on the information he was given. Which was all false information

2. Yes the mother is a piece of work. Where she could have stepped in at the beginning of this and stopped it she didn't. She's done nothing but cuss this child for daring to be scared of this man and recasting and wants nothing to do with her because of it. When the court's told her it was in best interest to move back to Alabama from California she responded by asking why she would uproot her self for those kids.
3. I wasn't asking if there was anything we can do. I already know there is because I have done my research and spoken to multiple attorney's recently.
4. Good thing the judge and attorney we have chosen disagree with all of you on our place in this case. I believe the judges words to the adopted father's attorney when she tried to have is thrown out were "shut up. He has just as much place here, if not more, than everyone else".
5. We actually do have a case and have been told as such. My question that was not answered on the midst of pissed off responses because he dared buck against something when his daughter is being injured was how do you prove it when the mother is scared to speak up?

But thanks for reminding me that it's not just the idiots in Lee county that are blind to a child's abuse.
Congratulations on all of that stuff!!!!

Zigner

Apparently Alabama does enforce some open adoption agreements therefore perhaps it was an open adoption agreement (it certainly sounds like it might have been) and that is why attorneys or judges feel that "he has the right to be there"?
What agreement? :confused:

LdiJ

What agreement? :confused:
I did not say that there was an open adoption agreement. I said that based on what was said, that there possibly could be one (all of those discussions about dad and dad's family still getting to see the child). If there was one, that might explain why an attorney and a judge felt that dad had the right to be there.

I have no strong opinion one way or another. I just thought it might explain what was going on there.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

1) What happened to the infant son? Where did he go?
2) YOU are an idiot.
3) Your husband is a POS.
4) Multiple attorney's? Try again. Your spelling is atrocious.
5) He allowed an adoption. This is NOT legally his daughter.

Carry on with your stupidity though.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess

You're lying.

We know it. You know it. You clearly have NOT done your research and you are - apparently - unable to comprehend the written word. You can get help for that.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Like there's a whole lot of attorneys in Lee County. How did you get to 'choose the judge'? :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">