• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

100% disabled and alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zappo

What is the name of your state? AZ

I am considered 100% disabled and on SS. My Husband filed for divorce. How long will he be responsible for paying me alimony

seniorjudge

zappo said:
What is the name of your state? AZ

I am considered 100% disabled and on SS. My Husband filed for divorce. How long will he be responsible for paying me alimony
Who considers you disabled?

Why?

Why do you think your husband should pay alimony?

nextwife

How long were you married? What is the nature of your disablity and when did it occur in relation to your marriage?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

nextwife said:
How long were you married? What is the nature of your disablity and when did it occur in realtion to your marriage?
Yes; that makes a total of six questions. Zappo, please answer them all.

zappo

Married 11 years

Multiple Sclerosis

Diagnosed 7 years ago with MS

I was told by my SS attorney that I was considered 100% disabled

Yes I feel my husband should pay alimony. I worked outside of the home for about 2 years of the marrage. The rest of the marrage WE decided I would stay home and take care of our home and 2 children

BelizeBreeze

now-hereman said:
Your attorney is not the SS adminstration.

And since "we" decided you would stay home and take care of 2 children, WE decide that you are 50% responsible to take care of yourself after divorce.

Since there is one other 50% responsible to take care of themselves in your soon to be former union, you are even with the house.

Now thank him for paying your freight for all those years and get a JOB...
And what does this have to do with the LEGAL answer to the question?

As for the poster, since you have not gone through the divorce process yet, alimony is not a given. Simply because you are 'considered' disabled does NOT mean alimony will be awarded.

And even if it is, if you are receiving supplemental support payments from the Social Security administration, that amount will be considered in any permanent, rehabilitative or other term alimony award if given.

In essense, there is no way to offer a valid legal opinion without knowing all factual elements of your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">