• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1986 Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GoddessOhio

We live in Ohio. My husband got divorced back in 1986. In his divorce decree there is no stipulation on how long he should pay Spouse Support. He was married 9 years to his ex-wife but has been paying spouse support for 22 years now. They are basically looking for past court cases to go by in order to end it they have to have jurisdiction to end it. Any advice or links to similar cases please post them. Thank you all for your help in advanced.

Beth

LdiJ

She never remarried. It doesn't have any ending date on the spouse support.
Then he has to keep paying. If he agreed to permanent alimony, and she did not remarry, I doubt if he is going to find any case law that will let him off the hook.

Now...if she is currently earning more money than he is, that might open things up for him.

GoddessOhio

Then he has to keep paying. If he agreed to permanent alimony, and she did not remarry, I doubt if he is going to find any case law that will let him off the hook.

Now...if she is currently earning more money than he is, that might open things up for him.
Currently he is diabled and can't work. April and July he had two heart attacks and currently has lawyers helping him get SSD. There has to be a case somewhere, which I am currently searching for it, about a simiular situation. The judge said he wanted the two lawyers, her's and our's to find that case, to end this support. And if there is such a case (somewhere) he will look into it and see if it can be ended.

LdiJ

Currently he is diabled and can't work. April and July he had two heart attacks and currently has lawyers helping him get SSD. There has to be a case somewhere, which I am currently searching for it, about a simiular situation. The judge said he wanted the two lawyers, her's and our's to find that case, to end this support. And if there is such a case (somewhere) he will look into it and see if it can be ended.
Ok...that is a very definitely change in circumstance that should have been mentioned in your very first post. I would be surprized if there wasn't case law out there that specifically addressed that situation.

Your state government website would be a good resource for finding case law...although your husband's attorney has even stronger resources.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">