• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 1/2 yrs married....must I pay spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

murhino

What is the name of your state? Washington State

I have been married for 2 1/2 years. We filed for divorce on a Monday (3 weeks ago) and she told me on that next Thursday that she has been cheating on me with her ex-husband for the last month. In the original divorce filing I offered to pay her $1200 per month for 6 months to help pay the apartment rent, figuring I would move out. She had recently got a job, for about 3 weeks before we filed, and is still working. We have not filled out or signed the final petition yet. When I found out she had been cheating on me, I kicked her out. She went to live with her ex and they are now talking about remarrying. They are both employed, but she still wants the $1200! Do I have to pay her anything? The entire time we were married I paid for her to get education to get a job, but she never followed through. She was unemployed the whole time and there are no children involved.

Ryan

BelizeBreeze

murhino said:
What is the name of your state? Washington State

I have been married for 2 1/2 years. We filed for divorce on a Monday (3 weeks ago) and she told me on that next Thursday that she has been cheating on me with her ex-husband for the last month. In the original divorce filing I offered to pay her $1200 per month for 6 months to help pay the apartment rent, figuring I would move out. She had recently got a job, for about 3 weeks before we filed, and is still working. We have not filled out or signed the final petition yet. When I found out she had been cheating on me, I kicked her out. She went to live with her ex and they are now talking about remarrying. They are both employed, but she still wants the $1200! Do I have to pay her anything? The entire time we were married I paid for her to get education to get a job, but she never followed through. She was unemployed the whole time and there are no children involved.

Ryan
You can rescind any agreement up to the point where the judge says you're divorced.

murhino

Thanks for the quick response BB,

My bad...I didn't make my question clear.....I understand that the papers can be changed, but if I tell her that I am not going to pay her anything, and if she got a Lawyer involved, would a judge order spousal maintenance/alimony? Or is it safe to tell her to go to hell about the money now that she's living with her ex and working?

Thanks,
Ryan

BelizeBreeze

murhino said:
Thanks for the quick response BB,

My bad...I didn't make my question clear.....I understand that the papers can be changed, but if I tell her that I am not going to pay her anything, and if she got a Lawyer involved, would a judge order spousal maintenance/alimony? Or is it safe to tell her to go to hell about the money now that she's living with her ex and working?

Thanks,
Ryan
That's like asking can you only get a little pregnant? No one can tell you what a judge will decide. Just tell her to go to hell and IF she hires an attorney then you will also be advised to hire one.

The let the FUN begin.

nextwife

Don't pay her squat. If a judge hasn't signed off on it, you are not obligated to it. She obviously does not feel bound by her marriage, so do not offer her the financial benefit of the marriage she is rejecting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">