• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

40 hour week vs 40 plus many hours week

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Maryland
Until I came to this forum I hadn't thought about asking for alimony. However here is my dilema? Marrry 34 years man walked out for new younger babe (acutally used to babysit my kids)... We make almost the same annually however it takes me 60 to 80 hours a week to his 40... 10 years to retirement, these last ten were to have been spent by the both of us socking the money away. Suddenly I have to buy him out of the house, pay for my health insurance and split all the assets 50/50. Asking for alimony seems to be admitting I can't take care of myself but hey I'm a little too old to be starting from the midpoint. Thoughts and might it be feasible...

MD is an "equitable distribution" state, not "community property" when it come to property division in a divorce, so 50/50 split not necessarily required. If there is a huge disparity in income, ask for more assets. Nor is MD a "no-fault" only state, sue for divorce on the grounds of adultery, marital misconduct can also impact property division. You are probably in a lot of emotional pain right now. It sounds cold, but concentrating on protecting yourself financially now will not only be good for your future, but will help deal with some of that pain & anger. If you think he will give you grief in collecting future alimony payments or you just don't want a continued tie to him, get as much in money/assets in settlement as possible. You need to get a great divorce lawyer. I live in MD, but was divorced years ago and cannot make a good recommendation, wish I could.

PROPERTY DISTRIBUTION: Maryland is an "equitable distribution" state. The
spouses retain their separate property, including: (1) any gifts and
inheritances; (2) property acquired prior to the marriage; and (3) property
which is directly traceable to property listed in (1) or (2). Marital
property, including retirement benefits and military pensions, is then divided
on an equitable basis. The court may order a division of the property, a sale
of the property and a division of the proceeds, or a money award as an
adjustment of the values. The court may award the family home to either party. The following factors are considered: (1) the monetary and non-monetary contributions of each spouse to the acquisition of the marital property, including the contribution of each spouse as homemaker; (2) the value of each spouse's property; (3) the economic circumstances of each spouse at the time the division of property is to become effective; (4) the length of the marriage; (5) whether the property award is instead of or in addition to alimony; (6) how and by whom the property was acquired, including any retirement, profit-sharing, or deferred compensation plans; (7) the circumstances that contributed to the estrangement of the spouses; (8) the age and physical and mental condition of the spouses; and (9) any other factor necessary to do equity and justice between the spouses. [Annotated Code of Maryland; Family Law, Sections 8-202, 8-203, and 8-205].

ALIMONY/MAINTENANCE/SPOUSAL SUPPORT: Either spouse may be awarded alimony based on the following factors: (1) the time necessary to acquire sufficient education and training to enable the spouse to find appropriate employment and that spouse's future earning capacity; (2) the standard of living established during the marriage; (3) the duration of the marriage; (3) the ability of the spouse from whom support is sought to meet his or her needs while meeting those of the spouse seeking support; (4) the financial resources of the spouse seeking alimony, including marital property apportioned to such spouse and such spouse's ability to meet his or her needs independently; (5) the comparative financial resources of the spouses, including their comparative earning abilities in the labor market; (6) the contribution of each spouse to the marriage, including services rendered in homemaking, childcare, education, and career-building of the other spouse; (7) the age of the spouses; (8) the physical and emotional conditions of the spouses; (9) any mutual agreement between the spouses concerning financial or service contributions by 1 spouse with the expectation of future reciprocation or compensation by the other; (10) the ability of the spouse seeking alimony to become self-supporting; (11) the circumstances which lead to the breakdown of the marriage; and (12) any other factor the court deems just and equitable.

Many thanks

There are so many unknowns, but will I certainly appreciate the above post.
I feel much better prepared to ask question of my lawyer. Thanks a million! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">