• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

? about the transition from temporary order to permanent order regarding support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohhaithere

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Hi
I have a question about the gap between when a temporary order is over and when the new order is in place.
I was awarded unallocated support during the duration of the divorce. The divorce was finalized several weeks ago. I typically receive the payment every Saturday weekly. My attorney let me know that he would continue payments as normal till the permanent support order was put in place. His attorney told him otherwise so I haven't received payment for going on three weeks now (the third week I don't really count as it is the first week of November). My attorney has been pretty non responsive regarding this issue.

My question is, when does the temporary order stop when it was not written in? The new order was to be enacted November 1st. He did not leave the home till October 31st and visitation did not start till November the 1st as well. The divorce was finalized two weeks prior. Was he supposed to pay for those two weeks? I'm having a hard time trying to find a job because I can't afford childcare. I don't have friends or family to watch my child while I job hunt or go for interviews.

Just wanted to know if anyone had experienced this. Should I file something with the court? Like is he in contempt? I'm not sure. And like I said, my attorney hasn't been of much help. She just said there was a "gray area" but didn't tell me what I needed to do.

Thanks in advance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Hi
I have a question about the gap between when a temporary order is over and when the new order is in place.
I was awarded unallocated support during the duration of the divorce. The divorce was finalized several weeks ago. I typically receive the payment every Saturday weekly. My attorney let me know that he would continue payments as normal till the permanent support order was put in place. His attorney told him otherwise so I haven't received payment for going on three weeks now (the third week I don't really count as it is the first week of November). My attorney has been pretty non responsive regarding this issue.

My question is, when does the temporary order stop when it was not written in? The new order was to be enacted November 1st. He did not leave the home till October 31st and visitation did not start till November the 1st as well. The divorce was finalized two weeks prior. Was he supposed to pay for those two weeks? I'm having a hard time trying to find a job because I can't afford childcare. I don't have friends or family to watch my child while I job hunt or go for interviews.

Just wanted to know if anyone had experienced this. Should I file something with the court? Like is he in contempt? I'm not sure. And like I said, my attorney hasn't been of much help. She just said there was a "gray area" but didn't tell me what I needed to do.

Thanks in advance.
What were you doing while you were receiving temporary support? Were you looking for work? Filing for Title XX? Were you living the house with your now-ex? If so, what did you do during that time? How many jobs did you apply for during the period of temporary support? Have you done anything to move yourself forward? Because I am not seeing it.

As for him being in contempt, no one here can read the temporary order to know what it states or what was stated in court or what the final order states.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">