• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advocate for Disabled for Support Hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Treesgal1

What is the name of your state? PA
Not sure where to post this question - I have been helping my 58 year old cousin navigate through the "agencies" of welfare, social security....etc. In order to receive her cash benefits, she had to file for support through the Domestic Relations. I have to drive her to all of these appointments. She has somewhat of a speech impediment, and does take seizures. The first meeting to fill out the paper work at Domestic Relations, the caseworker said I was not allowed to accompany her into the office. I tried to explain the reason...."No", but then the caseworker had to keep coming out to ask me if I could provide transportation for a May 29th court date....could I**************..So now that the court hearing is coming up - what paper work do I need to be allowed to accompany her - she does not understand most of this, and she is already becoming stressed about going in alone. One person in the office said "maybe" a Power of Attorney**************..but no one else will return my phone calls. Thanks for your suggestions.What is the name of your state?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What you can do is hire her an attorney. A POA will not allow you to represent her in court. It would allow you to hire her an attorney though -- if it is a general POA.

Treesgal1

Hire an Attorney

I would if we could - I guess I can contact the Legal Aid - she has MS / etc. and they have said to contact them. I just wanted to be able to accompany her - not as an attorney, etc. Thanks.

LdiJ

I would if we could - I guess I can contact the Legal Aid - she has MS / etc. and they have said to contact them. I just wanted to be able to accompany her - not as an attorney, etc. Thanks.
If you are not going to be testifying, you can accompany her. That is not a problem. However, you cannot speak for her. You would only be able to observe. Do call legal aid. It certainly seems like someone in your cousin's position should be able to qualify for legal aid. You also might consider contacting the local Bar Association to see if there are any attorneys available on a Pro Bono basis.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">