• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ailimony calculation in NH

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Heartbroken NH

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

Looking to end a 24+ year marriage due to my wife's heavy drinking. Emotional abuse. I am the sole income and have been for over a decade. We rent na apartment- have been for 13 years. How would alimony be calculated if proven she failed the marriage? Or would that have any bearing? Thanks for your help!

Silverplum

Looking to end a 24+ year marriage due to my wife's heavy drinking. Emotional abuse. I am the sole income and have been for over a decade. We rent na apartment- have been for 13 years. How would alimony be calculated if proven she failed the marriage? Or would that have any bearing? Thanks for your help!
I googled up a very straightforward explanation of alimony awards in NH. It's on an attorney's site -- to which I have no connection whatsoever and am providing merely as a pleasant courtesy:

http://www.nashualaw.com/resources/Legal-Articles/legal-article-archive/Family/Alimony_in_New_Hampshire.aspx
"When a person requesting alimony has sufficient income to meet his or her expenses, it is inappropriate for the court to make an alimony award, even if the award is minimal. Even if the requesting party does not have sufficient income, but has the ability to make income sufficient to cover his or her expenses, the court may not award alimony. Further, while the court may consider marital fault in awarding alimony, the court may not use alimony to punish a spouse for his or her conduct during the marriage. Unlike child support, there are no guidelines for the issuance for the amount of alimony. Instead, the amount of alimony is determined bases upon the court's findings consistent with the alimony statute."

Proserpina

Fault does not seem to be a factor in NH.

Read here:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XLIII/458/458-19.htm

I strongly suggest you consult with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">