• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony for 30 year marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
I am contemplating my options and would appreciate some advice on what I can expect if I divorce. I am in my mid 50's and in poor health. I don't have recent work experience that would qualify me for SSDI, but I am not able to work. Without my husband's insurance, I would be uninsurable.

Our problems began a few years ago when our daughter became addicted to heroin. This has devastated our family financially. She and her friends have stolen checks and forged my name to them, totaled my car, stolen and run up our credit cards, and left us with huge legal bills to keep her from going to prison.

I recently discovered my jewelry missing. I tried to discuss going to the police about the theft, and he threatened to throw me out if I do that. I just found a bank statement showing he is transferring funds to her account daily (yet again). Anything to keep her from prostituting herself. Our once healthy retirement fund is a fraction of what it was, and he continues to bleed it down, dissipating our assets. He has basically squandered away close to 6 figures. His enabling behavior is killing both our marriage and our daughter. He refuses marriage counseling and any attempt to discuss the problem results in denial of how bad things are. He doesn't want to talk about it.

His income is around $150k. Given that and my health issues, what kind of alimony could I expect?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

As always, there is no standard formula for how much alimony someone will have to pay. The general guidelines are:
Minnesota Alimony Laws and Guidelines

As for the rest, you didn't do anything about the theft when it happened, so it's going to be hard to pin it on your husband. He could do the same thing with you.

You're really going to need an attorney.

LdiJ

As always, there is no standard formula for how much alimony someone will have to pay. The general guidelines are:
Minnesota Alimony Laws and Guidelines

As for the rest, you didn't do anything about the theft when it happened, so it's going to be hard to pin it on your husband. He could do the same thing with you.

You're really going to need an attorney.
I don't think that she is accusing her husband of theft, I think she is accusing her daughter of theft and her husband of enabling their drug addicted daughter.

mistoffolees

I don't think that she is accusing her husband of theft, I think she is accusing her daughter of theft and her husband of enabling their drug addicted daughter.
I never said otherwise.

If she wanted to do something about the daughter, she had years to take action. Since she didn't so, she was every bit as much of an enabler as Dad.

LdiJ

I never said otherwise.

If she wanted to do something about the daughter, she had years to take action. Since she didn't so, she was every bit as much of an enabler as Dad.
You said the following:

[/quote]As for the rest, you didn't do anything about the theft when it happened, so it's going to be hard to pin it on your husband.[/quote]

LdiJ

I never said otherwise.

You said the following:

As for the rest, you didn't do anything about the theft when it happened, so it's going to be hard to pin it on your husband.

I never said otherwise.

I appreciate the link you provided, but I have to say that I'm not the one lying about financing our daughter's addiction and covering her theft, so please don't pin that on me. Dad is the enabler here, not me. If I had my way (which I don't) she would have gotten a big dose of tough love a very long time ago.

mistoffolees

You said the following:
As for the rest, you didn't do anything about the theft when it happened, so it's going to be hard to pin it on your husband.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Of course. OP was trying to pin the fact that the kid was stealing things on the husband. It's not the husband's fault that the child is a thief any more than it's the mother's fault.

Bali Hai

I appreciate the link you provided, but I have to say that I'm not the one lying about financing our daughter's addiction and covering her theft, so please don't pin that on me. Dad is the enabler here, not me. If I had my way (which I don't) she would have gotten a big dose of tough love a very long time ago.
All of which means nothing as to the reason you're here. Alimony.

You muddied up the water with airing your dirty laundry in an attempt to paint your husband as the bad guy in hopes to bolster your claim for alimony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">