• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony and Adultery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

omg_bpd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I am divorcing my STBX after 5 years of marriage (boyfriend and girlfriend for 10 years) on the grounds of adultery (verified by private investigator). My income is $100k and her's is $40k. She works in the hospitality industry (for the last 15 years) and hides income.

What is the likelihood of her being awarded alimony? Again, this is in the state of Maryland.

Last edited:

anteater

Maryland

I am divorcing my STBX after 5 years of marriage (boyfriend and girlfriend for 10 years) on the grounds of adultery (verified by private investigator). My income is $100k and her's is $40k. She works in the hospitality industry (for the last 15 years) and hides income.
Now, maybe try asking a question.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

What is the likelihood of her being awarded alimony? Again, this is in the state of Maryland.
It is possible she will be awarded some alimony for up to half the length of the marriage. It is not a long marriage but it is possible. And how do you know she was actually committing adultery? Did the private investigator get pictures of her having sex with someone not you? Adultery doesn't necessarily have an impact on alimony. She could possibly get 30k a year in alimony for a short duration. POSSIBLY. Not necessarily will. Not guaranteed.

Just Blue

You are asked question and are editing your first post to answer. Please just answer on a new post to this thread. Thanks!!
Blue

LdiJ

Also - did you file taxes together and not report her "hidden" income?
I am not sure that someone could even have hidden income if they work for a hospital. Mileage reimbursements and things of that nature wouldn't be hidden income, because they are not income.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I am not sure that someone could even have hidden income if they work for a hospital. Mileage reimbursements and things of that nature wouldn't be hidden income, because they are not income.
Not 'hospital'. Hospitality. :cool:

Just Blue

Reread the OP. "Hospitality" does not = Hospital.

Read maid.:rolleyes:

Bali Hai

Depends on the particular judge assigned to your case. Some of them think men should pay women money when they ask for it just because.

FarmerJ

You mentioned you were married 5 yrs , being boyfriend girlfriend legally the two of you were nothing more than roommates !!!!! so your so called joint economic contract was five years (Not fifteen) If she had a income of 40K that is nothing to sneeze at, If there were no children created from your marriage she would have a take home of around 2,600 a month (not a bad income compared to mine where I have to chase OT in order to have money for extras like fixing the boiler again ) A huge thing about alimony has changed, If the two of you had been married say 25 yrs then good odds are she might just get some kind of support ordered from a court to her but with being married only five years you can argue in court that since she had been working during the marriage you do not see a reason she could not support herself on her own income ( after asset division)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">