• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twinkie

What is the name of your state? CA

I have been divorced for 4 years. When the Judge in my divorce asked me if I wanted spousal support I declined. We were married 18 years w/2 children who are now grown. I have been in a relationship since then, and have another child from that relationship. We are not married. I have been recently declared disabled and unable to work and am about to receive Social Security Disability as of the last Wednesday in January. I am unable to work , and my Social Security benefit doesn't even come close to a regular weeks pay for me. My question is this: Am I eligible to at this time and under these circumstances to petition the court for spousal support? I no longer live in California, I currently reside in Missouri, and my ex resides in Idaho.

Thank you for your help.

nextwife

And did you NOT make sure you had your OWN disablity insurance? Why is your failure to secure adequate insurance coverages as a single person your ex's fault, or problem?

ceara19

Your former husband is not responsible for supporting you, the new man in your life and your love child. If money's tight, tell your "babydaddy" it's time for him to step up to the plate.

LdiJ

And did you NOT make sure you had your OWN disablity insurance? Why is your failure to secure adequate insurance coverages as a single person your ex's fault, or problem?
Most people honestly don't have the means to afford all of the different kinds of insurance that could be needed, particularly disability. Many people are lucky to be able to afford basic health insurance.

nextwife

Most people honestly don't have the means to afford all of the different kinds of insurance that could be needed, particularly disability. Many people are lucky to be able to afford basic health insurance.
Especially true if they choose to be voluntarilly unemployed for some period of time.

ceara19

But that doesn't change the fact that her EX is not responsible for supporting her or her new child.;)

LdiJ

But that doesn't change the fact that her EX is not responsible for supporting her or her new child.;)
Oh, of course not. I just disagree with chastising someone for not providing themselves with something that most people cannot afford.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">