• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony and being disabled?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

decor04

I was wondering? I am disabled with a genetic immune problem. I was married for 20 years with 4 children. I have very little work history due to my illness and cant get ssdi because I never paid in. After being divorced for 4 years I remarried and gave up my lifetime alimony. If I were to get divorced again and were only married for a couple of years, whould I get alimony from the new ex due to my disability??? Thanks, just need to know

Bali Hai

decor04 said:
I was wondering? I am disabled with a genetic immune problem. I was married for 20 years with 4 children. I have very little work history due to my illness and cant get ssdi because I never paid in. After being divorced for 4 years I remarried and gave up my lifetime alimony. If I were to get divorced again and were only married for a couple of years, whould I get alimony from the new ex due to my disability??? Thanks, just need to know
In all probability, NO.

tigger22472

decor04 said:
No, your ex's obligation ended with the remarriage and he will not be required, even through a judge to reinstate that just because you made another bad choice.

CJane

tigger22472 said:
No, your ex's obligation ended with the remarriage and he will not be required, even through a judge to reinstate that just because you made another bad choice.

Tigger, she wants to know if she's likely to get alimony from her new ex (current husband of only 4 years), not the old ex.

The answer's still no though.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Generally, since you were disabled at the time of the remarriage, you wouldn't be eligible for spousal support from that husband given the length of your marriage.

tigger22472

CJane said:
Tigger, she wants to know if she's likely to get alimony from her new ex (current husband of only 4 years), not the old ex.

The answer's still no though.

Oh ok.. duh.. That even makes it funnier!

ceara19

tigger22472 said:
Oh ok.. duh.. That even makes it funnier!
It's even funnier if you read the rest of her story from other threads:

decor04 said:
Well I am no longer on alimony. I was just answering the above poster based on my experiances but let me ask you?Do you think it fair , that a 25yo man gets pregnant a 17 yo girl ,insists she has for kids for him and not work for 20 years, then when she gets ill he throws her out so he can go screw a younger girl with a tight bod and no kids ? and then leaves her no means of support due to her disability??
decor04 said:
Ok, I will give ya that. From a 2mil house to a 900sf condo still sucks. With little time left on this earth, lifetime support is not that long for giving up 20years and my entire childhood. Without alimony laws, it would give every guy the right to make promises and dreams to ya,then when a cute young thing came alone throw you on the street. Geez 4 kids ,20 years and a disability and you think men should be allowed to just toss us to the street when they want to sew there oats again.
So it actually appears that she IS asking if she can restart the alimony from husband #1.

CJane

ceara19 said:
So it actually appears that she IS asking if she can restart the alimony from husband #1.
Wouldn't surprise me if she were, but she's not.

decor04 said:
whould I get alimony from the new ex due to my disability???

So, will she stay married to the poor schlep so he can continue to support her since she can't get alimony? And is that more fair than being kicked to the curb by the first ex?

decor04

No, I was not asking about alimony again from the first husband. I was simply asking because I dont trust men all that much do to what happened the first time. You always want love to last for ever but as we all know it does not always happen. I was just wondering where I stand. Not a problem, I really cared more about keeping the health insurance then getting any alimony if the current marriage goes south. As far as money goes, I will be fine and made very wise choices in that area, the poor choices were believing love could last a lifetime and that they will stay with you in sickness and in health. The new hubby knew I was ill but dealing with it till I die,i am not sure he will make it

ceara19

If you don't trust men, why did you get married a second time? I have no trust or respect for my ex-husband and I doubt if I ever will, no matter how much he claims to "change". He could show up at my door with a letter of reference from God, Budda, Mohammad, Allah, the President, Pat Robertson or show up with Jesus Christ himself and it won't change my opinion of him in the least. But that's just HIM, it doesn't extend to men in general. It's never a good sign for your marraige when you start looking into your options "just in case".

decor04

ceara19 said:
If you don't trust men, why did you get married a second time? I have no trust or respect for my ex-husband and I doubt if I ever will, no matter how much he claims to "change". He could show up at my door with a letter of reference from God, Budda, Mohammad, Allah, the President, Pat Robertson or show up with Jesus Christ himself and it won't change my opinion of him in the least. But that's just HIM, it doesn't extend to men in general. It's never a good sign for your marraige when you start looking into your options "just in case".
I agree, the fact is I went forward not trying to put future relationships with men into the same group as the ex. I married again with that hope. I however will not be so dumb this time around , my eyes are wide open. I just happen to see signs he might not be able to deal with my health problems in the long hall. This time around, I want to be the one that controls my life and what happens to me. I am smarter in seeing the signs but not smarter picking men I guess. Is there such a thing as a perfect marriage/partner and happly ever after? I think not at this point. If this marriage tanks, I will go it alone and at least die in peace.

VeronicaGia

decor04 said:
NoNot a problem, I really cared more about keeping the health insurance then getting any alimony if the current marriage goes south.
Most employers and/or insurance companies will not allow this. If you and your husband divorce, you will no longer be related to him. This would be like me trying to force your husband to carry me on his insurance. So, don't count on it.

tigger22472

VeronicaGia said:
Most employers and/or insurance companies will not allow this. If you and your husband divorce, you will no longer be related to him. This would be like me trying to force your husband to carry me on his insurance. So, don't count on it.
Veronica, actually there is a federal law that the insurance company be required to offer the ex spouse medical insurance for up to three years. The catch is that the non-employee must pay the premium or and it's offered through COBRA so the premiums are much higher. Now, I'm sure this might be able to be gotten around through a court order. (I don't have my family law book right at hand but it's in there. I think I posted the law in another alimony thread resently).

nextwife

tigger22472 said:
Veronica, actually there is a federal law that the insurance company be required to offer the ex spouse medical insurance for up to three years. The catch is that the non-employee must pay the premium or and it's offered through COBRA so the premiums are much higher. Now, I'm sure this might be able to be gotten around through a court order. (I don't have my family law book right at hand but it's in there. I think I posted the law in another alimony thread resently).

Yeah but even that is ONLY three years.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">