• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony & C/S

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

c2koalas1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I have a very difficult situation. A friend of mine is married and has 3 beautiful children. However, her marriage has gone sour and she has gotten pregnant by a different man.

If she tells her husband that the baby is not his, can he: 1) take their kids away from her, 2) get alimony from her (she is a stay-at-home mom), and 3) get child support from her is he decides to leave?

Isis1

dad can file for divorce, custody, visitation schedule and support. same as mom can. if mom is pregnant, her STBX can be considered as the legal father unless the actual father steps in and establishes himself as dad.

and if mom decides not to tell dad about her lover's baby, that's just wrong. and will bite her in the butt later.

if he plans to file for alimony, he may not be able to get much. using divorce court for spite won't bode well for him.

c2koalas1

Update

My friend has now told her husband and although he is upset, she is sure she has done the right thing.

If she was to file for child support from the baby's daddy, would she have to name him as the father on the birth certificate?

Isis1

depending on the state. they may not put the real baby's father on the certificate if he doesn't sign the Proof of Paternity at the hospital. which means he would have to be there. if mom and husband decide to stay married, her husband may be declared as the legal father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">