• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pysmomma

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
Hi,

I have been receiving checks as alimony payments for several years. Last month I received a check that my ex had written "last payment" on. This is NOT supposed to be the last payment. I was told to cross off the last payment note and go ahead and cash it. I am not sure if that is a good idea or not but I really do need the money. Can someone tell me what is the best thing to do with this check? I have not received any more checks from my ex and am seeing what I have to do to make my ex continue paying as was ordered by the court.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If he is paying per a court order, his "note" on the check won't change the fact that he still owes more money.

Pysmomma

Thank you for the information, it definitely makes sense.

You noted on your reply that you were able to find the answer on Google. Can you please tell me what you used for search parameters. I do a lot of research online and was not sure how to go about this one, maybe I am just too close to it right now. Anyhow, I really would love to know how you conducted your search for this. Thanks!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you for the information, it definitely makes sense.

You noted on your reply that you were able to find the answer on Google. Can you please tell me what you used for search parameters. I do a lot of research online and was not sure how to go about this one, maybe I am just too close to it right now. Anyhow, I really would love to know how you conducted your search for this. Thanks!
That is Z's signature. It is on EVERY post and is not necessarily directed at you.

cyjeff

Think of it this way.

If that was all it took to end a contract, why would you pay more than one payment for a car?

Pysmomma

Thank you, Ohiogal, for the information about the signature line.

And thank you everyone else, I appreciate the information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">