• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

alimony, debt, cs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confused07

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

We're going through a legal separation which most likely will turn into a divorce. she took kid and moved out over a month ago. Her DVP got denied. we have 2 houses together, a child that's 2 years old, and about 18k in credit card debt. married little over 4 years. she makes about 50k and I make about 60k. she's been living on her own for 6 weeks and not paying our mortgages because of it. will judge even care if she has been living on her own with our child without ordered child support? she only has child cuz the DVP, which was denied, but she has "possession" and nothing I can do. no court orders as of yet. I filed ex parte but it was denied until hearing at end of Nov.

will there be alimony she could possibly get from me with our incomes that close and her proving she already can live on her own even with daycare, which our child has never been to because I watched her every day of her life at home. how much could she possibly get from me? she's affording it only cuz she's not paying in of our 2 mortgages now. how much could child support cost to whoever doesn't get custody? i did some calculators online but I didn't know what to put for taxes it was asking.

JETX

will judge even care if she has been living on her own with our child without ordered child support?
Sounds like you are REALLY asking, "Can I get off with a reduced or NO child support since she has already done it?". If so, no.

will there be alimony she could possibly get from me with our incomes that close and her proving she already can live on her own even with daycare, which our child has never been to because I watched her every day of her life at home.
Will there?? No one can answer that.
Could there be child support ordered from you? Yes.

how much could she possibly get from me?
She 'could get' as much as the court might allow her. Sorry, but we don't play "let's gamble" when it comes to a parent trying to bargain his/her obligations to the child.

she's affording it only cuz she's not paying in of our 2 mortgages now.
And the court will take that into consideration.

how much could child support cost to whoever doesn't get custody?
It could cost 400 quadzillion dollars.... but probably won't.

i did some calculators online but I didn't know what to put for taxes it was asking.
Are you really such a cheap ******* that you would try to bargain the cost of YOUR child?? The court will consider ALL the evidence presented and will determine what is the proper amount of child support to be ordered.

confused07

ok, well I guess you can't really answer anything besides saying the judge will decide. I know that, just was wondering a ball park figure for alimony with the incomes i provided. and no, I'm not going to be a cheap** and try to deny my child what she deserves. She will def. be taken care of and have all the necessities and more. I was just stating that it sucks to have to pay like 1k possibly when for the past 2 years I've been managing our finances and I know for fact it doesn't cost over 2-300/mo to raise a child. I'll pay whatever the judge decides of course, was just kind of stating a fact as it pertains to our child I guess.

nextwife

ok, well I guess you can't really answer anything besides saying the judge will decide. I know that, just was wondering a ball park figure for alimony with the incomes i provided. and no, I'm not going to be a cheap** and try to deny my child what she deserves. She will def. be taken care of and have all the necessities and more. I was just stating that it sucks to have to pay like 1k possibly when for the past 2 years I've been managing our finances and I know for fact it doesn't cost over 2-300/mo to raise a child. I'll pay whatever the judge decides of course, was just kind of stating a fact as it pertains to our child I guess.
There shouldn't really be alimony if your incomes are so close. Besides which, this is a VERY short term marriage. Go for splitting custody or primary custody (as you have been a primary caregiver "I watched her every day of her life at home"), marital debts and marital assets.

confused07

ya, i'll def. be going for primary custody, and splitting up debt equally. it's good to know that at least there shouldn't be any alimony with our incomes that close. that's a sign of relief at least. just curious, are there any specific situations that play out depending on how long you've been married? like if you hit the 5 yr milestone, or 10 yr are there any benefits if you get divorced at that point? not that it matters now but just curious if anything would be diff. if we lasted 5 yrs

CourtClerk

and I know for fact it doesn't cost over 2-300/mo to raise a child.
I need to go live where ever you live if it doesn't cost more than $300/mo to raise a child. I'm sure the daycare bill is more than that.

Shoot, I spend $200/mo between school lunches and his share of the food. Nevermind that he needs clothes, medical insurance, medicine, lights, gas, water, heat, a dentist, hair cuts, socks, underwear, kool aid, juice, bread for sandwiches, birthday parties, gifts for their friend's birthday parties, toys, video games, after school activities ($$$$$$$$$$$$) and the list goes on and on:rolleyes:

LdiJ

I need to go live where ever you live if it doesn't cost more than $300/mo to raise a child. I'm sure the daycare bill is more than that.

Shoot, I spend $200/mo between school lunches and his share of the food. Nevermind that he needs clothes, medical insurance, medicine, lights, gas, water, heat, a dentist, hair cuts, socks, underwear, kool aid, juice, bread for sandwiches, birthday parties, gifts for their friend's birthday parties, toys, video games, after school activities ($$$$$$$$$$$$) and the list goes on and on:rolleyes:
Yep, dad is being more than a big unrealistic there...

CourtClerk

Yep, dad is being more than a big unrealistic there...
So, it's not $300/mo to raise a child over your way either huh? Guess we can both stay where you are... although your child raising days are over, I was going to suggest you move so your daughter can get the $300/mo child raising deal.:eek:

LdiJ

So, it's not $300/mo to raise a child over your way either huh? Guess we can both stay where you are... although your child raising days are over, I was going to suggest you move so your daughter can get the $300/mo child raising deal.:eek:
Heck, I probably spend 300.00 a month on support for my granddaughter, above and beyond what her mother spends...sigh.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">