• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

alimony and debt with spouse out of the country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

osutuffy

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Well, this is going to be a little long, it's an odd situation.
Husband and I got married, I worked full time and he worked part time, and I paid the bills to gelp get him through school. We had an agreement that when he graduated and got a job, that I could work part time and he would pay the bills while I went to school. He didn't go to job interviews after graduation, he would go out drinking the night before and then be too hung over to go. He opened credit cards left and right, some without my knowledge and wracked up charges at the bar for them. He bought a new car as well. In the meantime I was still working full time and paying for my half of the bills, he paid the other half except for food. He would come home at 8 am and tell me it was none of my business where he'd been. I put up with this for over a year, and then our electric, internet, phone, and other utilities got shut off. I found that he'd been taking my half of the bill money and using it for alcohol instead of bills. I told him to choose alcohol or me, and alcohol won.
i moved out, we did not legally separate, but I moved in sept 2004. He got a dui and had his girlfriend stay at our apartment while I was still living there. I moved out and he got 2 driving on a suspended license charges, was going to be sentenced to 6 months in jail and 4000 fine accoring to his lawyer. He decided to flee the country, his girlfriend in tow. They are now married (which I have no problem with her), and we are also still married. In Jordan he can have 2 wives, so he does not feel the need to divorce me. He has been promising to send the money for the divorce for 2 years now. Instead he sends me an email telling me he had to spend the money on scuba diving licenses and lessons, etc.
Now, my taxes were taken by the attorney general for debt he owes. I did not know about the innocent spouse form. I am worried that my taxes will continue to be taken after we are divorced since he wracked it up while we were together. He has put my name on one of the credit cards and I was unaware of that, he said he removed it and did not. He has at least 60000 in debt, maybe more. Since he is out of the country am I going to have to pay this?
If I sue him for alimony and/or for his debt, how will I collect it from him since he is out of the country? I have no idea what his income is and there is no way he would ever give me an honest answer. If I did sue him for alimony or his debt, he would just get a job under the table, so I am at a loss on what to do.
tiffany

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Well, this is going to be a little long, it's an odd situation.
Husband and I got married, I worked full time and he worked part time, and I paid the bills to gelp get him through school. We had an agreement that when he graduated and got a job, that I could work part time and he would pay the bills while I went to school. He didn't go to job interviews after graduation, he would go out drinking the night before and then be too hung over to go. He opened credit cards left and right, some without my knowledge and wracked up charges at the bar for them. He bought a new car as well. In the meantime I was still working full time and paying for my half of the bills, he paid the other half except for food. He would come home at 8 am and tell me it was none of my business where he'd been. I put up with this for over a year, and then our electric, internet, phone, and other utilities got shut off. I found that he'd been taking my half of the bill money and using it for alcohol instead of bills. I told him to choose alcohol or me, and alcohol won.
i moved out, we did not legally separate, but I moved in sept 2004. He got a dui and had his girlfriend stay at our apartment while I was still living there. I moved out and he got 2 driving on a suspended license charges, was going to be sentenced to 6 months in jail and 4000 fine accoring to his lawyer. He decided to flee the country, his girlfriend in tow. They are now married (which I have no problem with her), and we are also still married. In Jordan he can have 2 wives, so he does not feel the need to divorce me. He has been promising to send the money for the divorce for 2 years now. Instead he sends me an email telling me he had to spend the money on scuba diving licenses and lessons, etc.
Now, my taxes were taken by the attorney general for debt he owes. I did not know about the innocent spouse form. I am worried that my taxes will continue to be taken after we are divorced since he wracked it up while we were together. He has put my name on one of the credit cards and I was unaware of that, he said he removed it and did not. He has at least 60000 in debt, maybe more. Since he is out of the country am I going to have to pay this?
If I sue him for alimony and/or for his debt, how will I collect it from him since he is out of the country? I have no idea what his income is and there is no way he would ever give me an honest answer. If I did sue him for alimony or his debt, he would just get a job under the table, so I am at a loss on what to do.
tiffany
You need to divorce him whether you can afford an attorney or not. Represent yourself if nothing else.

However, I think that you really need an attorney if at all possible. You may have to file for bankruptcy to get yourself out from under his debt. If he fraudulently used your name to get a credit card, you should be able to prove that. Pull your credit reports and see what is on them, and go from there.

Your tax refund will continue to be taken as long as taxes are due on a return that you filed jointly...there is nothing that you can do about that other than filing the innocent spouse form and the IRS approving such.

You aren't going to be able to collect squat from him as long as he is living in Jordan.

ceara19

You need to divorce him whether you can afford an attorney or not. Represent yourself if nothing else.

However, I think that you really need an attorney if at all possible. You may have to file for bankruptcy to get yourself out from under his debt. If he fraudulently used your name to get a credit card, you should be able to prove that. Pull your credit reports and see what is on them, and go from there.

Your tax refund will continue to be taken as long as taxes are due on a return that you filed jointly...there is nothing that you can do about that other than filing the innocent spouse form and the IRS approving such.

You aren't going to be able to collect squat from him as long as he is living in Jordan.
The BIGGEST thing in her favor is the fact that she will most likely get any & every thing she asks for in the divorce. I seriously doubt that he will come back for the divorce proceedings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">