• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

alimony from disabled?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

travlin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida, My wife is talking divorice and seems to think that she can take alimony from me... She is able bodied but refuses to get a job for the last 8 or 9 years now , Me, I am disabled with a INCOME OF 1300.00 PER MO. from ss plus 1000.00 per mo. from a disabilty insurance policy that i took out pior to my injury. We have very little and live in a travel trailer due to her refusal to work can someone tell me what i might be looking at. Thanks

mistoffolees

How long were you married?

Is she able to work and simply chooses not to? If that's the case, you can ask the court to impute income to her (probably at minimum wage).

If she is otherwise entitled to alimony, she can certainly get a portion of your income. Whether she can get part of your disability insurance depends on state laws - which I haven't looked up. But if you can get the court to impute income to her, that will make her income similar enough to yours that you might not have to pay anything.

travlin

How long were you married?

Is she able to work and simply chooses not to? If that's the case, you can ask the court to impute income to her (probably at minimum wage).

If she is otherwise entitled to alimony, she can certainly get a portion of your income. Whether she can get part of your disability insurance depends on state laws - which I haven't looked up. But if you can get the court to impute income to her, that will make her income similar enough to yours that you might not have to pay anything.

we have been married 20 years and she has worked in the past but now refuses to (if only to gain insurance.. Doesn't make sense to me other than she thinks that will entitle her to a part of my income i guess.

mistoffolees

we have been married 20 years and she has worked in the past but now refuses to (if only to gain insurance.. Doesn't make sense to me other than she thinks that will entitle her to a part of my income i guess.
Given the circumstances, she's going to need to get a job. There's no way you're going to be able to support 2 households on what you're making. Not to mention that alimony (if she gets any at all) may well be only temporary.

Ask the court to impute income to her. (Or, tell her you're going to do that and she's not likely to get much alimony, if any, so she might as well get a job and negotiate something with you).

travlin

Given the circumstances, she's going to need to get a job. There's no way you're going to be able to support 2 households on what you're making. Not to mention that alimony (if she gets any at all) may well be only temporary.

Ask the court to impute income to her. (Or, tell her you're going to do that and she's not likely to get much alimony, if any, so she might as well get a job and negotiate something with you).
Thanks so much for the advise it has really helped make things a little clearer for me

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">