• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

alimony from a disabled spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rpon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania I am on SS disability and my wife filed a PFA against me. We have been married 23yrs and have ten minor children together. She is not seeking divorce just child support and spousal support /alimony. I have been out of work for 14mths. What should I expect?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania I am on SS disability and my wife filed a PFA against me. We have been married 23yrs and have ten minor children together. She is not seeking divorce just child support and spousal support /alimony. I have been out of work for 14mths. What should I expect?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Are you on SSDI or SSI?

rpon

Disabled

SSDI, but it's barely enough now. How am I supposed to survive on even less? It's a mental disability also.

Proserpina

SSDI, but it's barely enough now. How am I supposed to survive on even less? It's a mental disability also.

Your children would be entitled to dependent benefits and you would need to ask the court to consider those benefits to be in lieu of child support.

SSDI can be garnished for child support, incidentally. SSI cannot.

It is not likely that alimony will be awarded. For her, at least. Now if SHE is working? She might find herself paying you alimony.

Last edited:

BL

Has SSA been provide the children's information as well as Moms ?

If not you or her need to do that .

The children may even be eligible for some retroactive benefits.

And again bring proofs of SSDI to court to request the children's amount be applied in lue of CS payments.

The court may tell mom to go to SSA .

Better to get it in place before court if possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">