• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony and Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

I guess I should explain myself better. I unfortunately married at 19 and was married for 18 years and now divorced for 26 years. This is the one who wants more alimony. My second wife I was married to for 10 years and she wants the insurance policy. They are double teaming me as usual. They talk and seem to go for more support at the same time. The second ex gets more money than the first and she knows it and wants the same basically. This is why my fiancé and I are not married. Keeps things more simple.

So you are saying that the disable son's income cannot be included in the household income, even though she claims him on her tax return.

Thank you.
Even if she is his rep payee, its not her income to spend as she chooses. She must account for how its spent and it must be spent on his needs.

LdiJ

That is criminal. These insane alimony laws have got to be changed. All you need is a sane governor.

Are you receiving SS retirement benefits and working full time as you say? If not how can the ex-wife receive benefits on your record?
The SS system has been explained to you before Bali.

She was married to him for more than 10 years. That allows her to claim SS benefits on his earnings record completely independently of him. It has no impact on him.

LdiJ

Also, I'm pretty sure son's disability income goes on HIS tax return, not hers. Just because he's a dependent doesn't mean he doesn't need to file his own return.
If he needed to file a tax return it would go on his tax return...at least any portion of it that was SSDI. SSI is not taxable and therefore never reported on any tax return.

Bali Hai

The SS system has been explained to you before Bali.

She was married to him for more than 10 years. That allows her to claim SS benefits on his earnings record completely independently of him. It has no impact on him.
The way you explained it before was that he must be receiving benefits or she cannot on his record.

davew128

Also, I'm pretty sure son's disability income goes on HIS tax return, not hers. Just because he's a dependent doesn't mean he doesn't need to file his own return.
If its his only source income, its neither taxable nor reportable and he wouldn't file a return. IF. It doesn't prevent him from being a dependent either nor stop her from being head of household provided she provides more than half his support which is likely.

LdiJ

The way you explained it before was that he must be receiving benefits or she cannot on his record.
Not me...maybe someone else. That could be counterproductive because someone might need to retire earlier than their ex.

Bali Hai

Not me...maybe someone else. That could be counterproductive because someone might need to retire earlier than their ex.
Yes and we all know who that someone is very likely to be.

I did some research and believe this is currently the way it works:

For an ex-spouse to recieve SS retirement benefits on the former spouses record, they must not be remarried at the time, been married to former spouse for more than ten years, been divorced for more than two years from former spouse, must be eligible to receive retirement benefits (62 years of age or more), former spouse must be eligible for SS retirement benefits (62 years of age or more).

tuffbrk

Here's a link but I still do not understand if you can apply if your ex has not applied (not old enough). I get lost with the "is eligible" reference and qualifying it (in my head) with upon reaching retirement age. I'm not all that bright apparently.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html

Notmarried4sure

I am back. I am at the Interrogatories stage now in the more alimony suit. My "partner" (not fiancé) purchased an investment home about 8 years ago in another state with her own money. I am a joint owner as she could not qualify for a mortgage on her income alone. She is totally responsible for the income and expenses and upkeep (has a property manager). She has her own bank account for this property, includes it on her Fed tax return, completes the state income tax return for the property, pays the insurance, HOA and property taxes as well. Do I have to include this property on my interrogatory as real estate owned because my name is on the mortgage and deed?

....and if my ex's both died...I would marry my "partner" in a flash. She is trustworthy, self sufficient and smart.

Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am back. I am at the Interrogatories stage now in the more alimony suit. My "partner" (not fiancé) purchased an investment home about 8 years ago in another state with her own money. I am a joint owner as she could not qualify for a mortgage on her income alone. She is totally responsible for the income and expenses and upkeep (has a property manager). She has her own bank account for this property, includes it on her Fed tax return, completes the state income tax return for the property, pays the insurance, HOA and property taxes as well. Do I have to include this property on my interrogatory as real estate owned because my name is on the mortgage and deed?

....and if my ex's both died...I would marry my "partner" in a flash. She is trustworthy, self sufficient and smart.

Thank you
1: Are you really asking if you have to include a property that you own when answering the interrogatory about properties you own?

2: Why would it matter if your ex's are alive or dead when it comes to remarrying?

Notmarried4sure

Alimony & Fraud

1: Are you really asking if you have to include a property that you own when answering the interrogatory about properties you own?

2: Why would it matter if your ex's are alive or dead when it comes to remarrying?
1. I thought perhaps I would be regarded as a co signer as that was the intention. I will include and explain. It is a loss financially so it might even help. That is the only asset I have besides my "underwater" home.
2. My partner refuses to remarry while the vultures are hovering as afraid of them getting at her assets and dragging her personal papers through the court system. Florida is a bad state to get divorced and they can't even pass an Alimony Reform Act as they decided to end the session!

Thank you despite the sarcasm

LdiJ

1. I thought perhaps I would be regarded as a co signer as that was the intention. I will include and explain. It is a loss financially so it might even help. That is the only asset I have besides my "underwater" home.
2. My partner refuses to remarry while the vultures are hovering as afraid of them getting at her assets and dragging her personal papers through the court system. Florida is a bad state to get divorced and they can't even pass an Alimony Reform Act as they decided to end the session!

Thank you despite the sarcasm
Had you just been on the mortgage then that argument might carry weight. However, you are also on the deed therefore you own the property.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There's nothing to "explain" - you are not a co-signor, you are a co-owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">