• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony and Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Notmarried4sure

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My ex is taking me back to court for the 4th time concerning an increase in alimony. She made a mistake and sold the house she had purchased a house beyond her means (took out a $366K mortgage without a FT job) and had to do a short sale 2 years later causing her to have to rent now. I was not consulted. She had to have lied on the application. She also decided to take early retirement at 62 receiving a partial of my SS, she is 66 now. I was not consulted and I continue to work full time at 65. She lives with an adult child (age 42) who is collecting disability saying he is mentally unable to work. She claims him on her tax returns as Head of Household, but does not include his disability check in her monthly income on the Inc/Exp reporting . He is not mentally disabled but somehow she was able to get this accomplished. He receives about $950 a month and I am sure she is using this money for expenses. Should this disability check be included in the household income if she is claiming him on her tax return? She also claims she is paying rent to another son as she is living in his rental house but there is no record of her paying the $650 a month. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Proserpina

My ex is taking me back to court for the 4th time concerning an increase in alimony. She made a mistake and sold the house she had purchased a house beyond her means (took out a $366K mortgage without a FT job) and had to do a short sale 2 years later causing her to have to rent now. I was not consulted. She had to have lied on the application. She also decided to take early retirement at 62 receiving a partial of my SS, she is 66 now. I was not consulted and I continue to work full time at 65. She lives with an adult child (age 42) who is collecting disability saying he is mentally unable to work. She claims him on her tax returns as Head of Household, but does not include his disability check in her monthly income on the Inc/Exp reporting . He is not mentally disabled but somehow she was able to get this accomplished. He receives about $950 a month and I am sure she is using this money for expenses. Should this disability check be included in the household income if she is claiming him on her tax return? She also claims she is paying rent to another son as she is living in his rental house but there is no record of her paying the $650 a month. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

One thing you should stop doing: declaring that her son is not disabled.

He is clearly disabled, despite your protestations to the contrary.

torimac

And you did not have to be consulted on any of this. The fourth time in how many years? If it is the fourth time in four years, I can understand your annoyance. If it is the fourth time in a dozen years, then maybe not so much.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
And you did not have to be consulted on any of this. The fourth time in how many years? If it is the fourth time in four years, I can understand your annoyance. If it is the fourth time in a dozen years, then maybe not so much.
Posting hx.

He's been paying alimony for 10 years...

Me thinks his fiance may be a factor.

LdiJ

My ex is taking me back to court for the 4th time concerning an increase in alimony. She made a mistake and sold the house she had purchased a house beyond her means (took out a $366K mortgage without a FT job) and had to do a short sale 2 years later causing her to have to rent now. I was not consulted. She had to have lied on the application. She also decided to take early retirement at 62 receiving a partial of my SS, she is 66 now. I was not consulted and I continue to work full time at 65.
Why would your ex wife need to consult you about her decision to retire?

She lives with an adult child (age 42) who is collecting disability saying he is mentally unable to work. She claims him on her tax returns as Head of Household, but does not include his disability check in her monthly income on the Inc/Exp reporting . He is not mentally disabled but somehow she was able to get this accomplished.
Do you have no grasp of how difficult it is to get on disability? Stop saying that. The SSA has deemed him disabled and he had to jump through major hoops for that to happen.

He receives about $950 a month and I am sure she is using this money for expenses.
Of course she does. His share of the household expenses would be paid with that money.

Should this disability check be included in the household income if she is claiming him on her tax return?
I am not sure why you would think so.

She also claims she is paying rent to another son as she is living in his rental house but there is no record of her paying the $650 a month. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
What record would you expect there to be?...and why would you expect to have any access to that record?

Notmarried4sure

I guess I should explain myself better. I unfortunately married at 19 and was married for 18 years and now divorced for 26 years. This is the one who wants more alimony. My second wife I was married to for 10 years and she wants the insurance policy. They are double teaming me as usual. They talk and seem to go for more support at the same time. The second ex gets more money than the first and she knows it and wants the same basically. This is why my fiancé and I are not married. Keeps things more simple.

So you are saying that the disable son's income cannot be included in the household income, even though she claims him on her tax return.

Thank you.

Bali Hai

I guess I should explain myself better. I unfortunately married at 19 and was married for 18 years and now divorced for 26 years. This is the one who wants more alimony. My second wife I was married to for 10 years and she wants the insurance policy. They are double teaming me as usual. They talk and seem to go for more support at the same time. The second ex gets more money than the first and she knows it and wants the same basically. This is why my fiancé and I are not married. Keeps things more simple.

So you are saying that the disable son's income cannot be included in the household income, even though she claims him on her tax return.

Thank you.
That is criminal. These insane alimony laws have got to be changed. All you need is a sane governor.

Are you receiving SS retirement benefits and working full time as you say? If not how can the ex-wife receive benefits on your record?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
That is criminal. These insane alimony laws have got to be changed. All you need is a sane governor.

Are you receiving SS retirement benefits and working full time as you say? If not how can the ex-wife receive benefits on your record?
It is possible that calculated in there is the fact that they have a disabled son.

But it is difficult to tell, since OP had us confused by not specifying that he had 2 ex wives. He does not refer to wife 1's disabled son as being his son as well, although the son was born during the marriage.

Still can't get why he calls his current love interest a fiancee... it's fine that he's not planning on marrying again, just odd that he's using that word.

Proserpina

Thank you.

He doesn't have an income.

ecmst12

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you did in fact have 2 different ex wives collecting alimony from you.

And hey, I'm sorry about that, too.

ecmst12

Also, I'm pretty sure son's disability income goes on HIS tax return, not hers. Just because he's a dependent doesn't mean he doesn't need to file his own return.

Bali Hai

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you did in fact have 2 different ex wives collecting alimony from you.

And hey, I'm sorry about that, too.
I don't believe you are sorry about that for a NY minute. Matter of fact, I believe you are elated about the suffering of this individual.

ecmst12

Your beliefs about my feelings are pretty meaningless, considering you don't know me at all.

Just because I don't feel sorry for YOU does not mean I don't feel sorry for some people who are paying alimony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">