• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdsk914

I am a disabled wife. My husband is asking for a divorce. In the state of Florida can my husband be responsible for my living expenses through a divorce being I live on a very limited income? In the state of New York it is done. But I'm not sure if it is like that here in Florida.

Proserpina

I am a disabled wife. My husband is asking for a divorce. In the state of Florida can my husband be responsible for my living expenses through a divorce being I live on a very limited income? In the state of New York it is done. But I'm not sure if it is like that here in Florida.
This is the statute, but the answer to your basic question is yes, spousal support can be ordered and it can be ordered on a temporary basis. Note I did not say living expenses - I said "spousal support".

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0000-0099/0061/Sections/0061.08.html

Also please note that in the long term the court won't leave him destitute either; if he's a low-earner they really can't make him pay much at all. The length of the marriage will matter, too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">