• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony for Life

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teddy32

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I was married for 5 years and separated with my wife. To get an easy divorce, I agreed to give her alimony for life until she remarried. I have been paying for 7 years now but with this guarantee money, I feel that she will never get married or stay single on purpose. Is this ruling still enforceable? Can I go to court and do something about this?

David

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I was married for 5 years and separated with my wife. To get an easy divorce, I agreed to give her alimony for life until she remarried. I have been paying for 7 years now but with this guarantee money, I feel that she will never get married or stay single on purpose. Is this ruling still enforceable? Can I go to court and do something about this?

David

Why on EARTH did you agree to lifetime alimony?!

Really - please type word for word (minus names) what your court orders actually say about alimony.

teddy32

Life Time Alimony

I felt guilty and I was stupid. I thought she was a nice person and wouldn't take advantage of me but I was wrong. I do want to hire a lawyer but want to find out if I have a case first before I pay for legal council.

Here is the statement:

"THE COURT FURTHER ORDERS that Respondent shall pay to Petitioner the sum of $800.00 per month, as and for spousal support, payable on the 1st day of month, beginning 1st of August, 2005, and continuing until death or remarriage of the recipient, or until death of recipient or payee, whichever occurs first"

I have been paying since 2004.

Proserpina

I felt guilty and I was stupid. I thought she was a nice person and wouldn't take advantage of me but I was wrong. I do want to hire a lawyer but want to find out if I have a case first before I pay for legal council.

Here is the statement:

"THE COURT FURTHER ORDERS that Respondent shall pay to Petitioner the sum of $800.00 per month, as and for spousal support, payable on the 1st day of month, beginning 1st of August, 2005, and continuing until death or remarriage of the recipient, or until death of recipient or payee, whichever occurs first"

Yeah, you're going to need an attorney. First thing in the morning.

It will be worth any initial fee - you may find yourself saving thousands of dollars.

(Or, you may not - but knowledge is your friend)

teddy32

Alimony For Life

Ok, to further complicate things, I live in Singapore now.

I don't mind paying for for a initial fee for a consultation. Do this forum offer referrals for Lawyers that I can talk to?

Proserpina

I don't mind paying for for a initial fee for a consultation. Do this forum offer referrals for Lawyers that I can talk to?

No, sorry.

You can click the "find a lawyer" button elsewhere on the forum.

Bali Hai

Here is the statement:

Women and the courts love mushrooms and people like you; keep them in the dark and**************...

mistoffolees

Are you planning to come back to the U.S.?

In addition to the advice to see an attorney, please consider one other thing. Is there a chance that your ex really is going to be a decent, responsible person? What happens if you contact her and say "we were married for 5 years and you've already received alimony for 7. Can we agree to stop it?" If she agrees, then you can have an attorney draft a stipulation and submit it to the court.

Bali Hai

Are you planning to come back to the U.S.?

In addition to the advice to see an attorney, please consider one other thing. Is there a chance that your ex really is going to be a decent, responsible person? What happens if you contact her and say "we were married for 5 years and you've already received alimony for 7. Can we agree to stop it?" If she agrees, then you can have an attorney draft a stipulation and submit it to the court.
Thanks misto, I needed a good laugh this morning! :D:D

ecmst12

No scam. She asked, he could have said no, he could have consulted a lawyer, he AGREED. He didn't consider the consequences and now he's paying for it.

tuffbrk

Is there a chance that your ex really is going to be a decent, responsible person? What happens if you contact her and say "we were married for 5 years and you've already received alimony for 7. Can we agree to stop it?" If she agrees, then you can have an attorney draft a stipulation and submit it to the court.
:DI'm clicking my ruby red shoes three times...

OTOH it's reassuring to know that somewhere in Misto's world there are still decent people. Now if only they were judges in the tri-state area...;)

mistoffolees

Thanks misto, I needed a good laugh this morning! :D:D
Believe it or not, there are some decent people out there. Even my ex - who is one of the most selfish people I know - voluntarily gave up thousands of dollars of alimony when I lost my job.

He'll never know if he doesn't ask. And, she may realize that she's going to have to spend thousands on lawyers if she doesn't agree - and maybe lose, anyway.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No sympathy here for legal scammers.
As was said, no scam here. The OP was just fine with this. He considered it a fair price to pay to be done with things. The OP is the one who did this to himself. Period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">