• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony/Maintenance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trish_h920

I currently live in AZ and moved here two years ago. I got my final divorce decree in SC, which is where I resided at the time of my divorce. My ex husband lived at that time and still does in PA. As part of the court order, he was to pay alimony for 30 months. He has never paid. What are my options and how much will it cost me if I do need to take actions and get a lawyer as well as what State do I need to go through to get this issue resolved. My divorce was final in Feb 2005. I have been ill and on disability and haven't had the ability to do anything about this until now. I really need some advice and guidance. What can I do?

mistoffolees

I currently live in AZ and moved here two years ago. I got my final divorce decree in SC, which is where I resided at the time of my divorce. My ex husband lived at that time and still does in PA. As part of the court order, he was to pay alimony for 30 months. He has never paid. What are my options and how much will it cost me if I do need to take actions and get a lawyer as well as what State do I need to go through to get this issue resolved. My divorce was final in Feb 2005. I have been ill and on disability and haven't had the ability to do anything about this until now. I really need some advice and guidance. What can I do?
You can file for contempt. You will need to do that in SC.
SC Judicial Department

LdiJ

Do I need to get an attorney in SC, travel there or how does that work? I am currently in AZ, like I stated and on disability.
How much money are we talking about? The 30 months is long over, therefore the total amount of money is 30 months x the amount ordered. You would definitely need an attorney, and probably one in SC. Make sure that the cost of trying to collect from him won't be greater than the amount you could collect.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Did your ex husband EVER live in SC? How was he served?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">