• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

alimony modifications

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennymaz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california
all ready recieving alimony ex looking for modifications, was married for 20 years, didn't work while married.
house wife no job skills with health problems perventing work. alimony is sole support. age is 55. recieving
alimony for 12 years, decree was: untill death or remarry. Question is:
do i need to be at the court to contest ? if i am unable to attend do I have any recourse? If I lose, and a
modification is awarded, is there a formula that is used ie: (ex loses job, gets different job pays 10%
less, alimony is decresed by 10%) how do they calculate any said modifications?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california
all ready recieving alimony ex looking for modifications, was married for 20 years, didn't work while married.
house wife no job skills with health problems perventing work. alimony is sole support. age is 55. recieving
alimony for 12 years, decree was: untill death or remarry. Question is:
do i need to be at the court to contest ? if i am unable to attend do I have any recourse? If I lose, and a
modification is awarded, is there a formula that is used ie: (ex loses job, gets different job pays 10%
less, alimony is decresed by 10%) how do they calculate any said modifications?
Yes you need to attend. If you can't attend, you need to request a continuance so that the court will delay the hearing. The reason for the modification matters and can play into the amount of modification.

tuffbrk

Presumably you have documentation from Social Security as to your disability and inability to work. That will be invaluable in court. You've been receiving alimony since you were 43 yrs old. In the past 12 years you have been unable to figure out a way to support yourself to some degree? Your days must seem endless with nothing to occupy yourself, no additional learning or growth. I'm sorry - that was a pretty broad assumption on my part. So have you been working/worked with Displaced Homemakers or Women in Transition at all? If so, be certain to bring that to the attention of the judge. It will show that you're at least trying to improve your circumstances.

If you're thinking you could handle a 10% or 20% reduction, offer it up and perhaps you can avoid court. You haven't indicated what Change of Circumstances has resulted in your ex filing for modification. If you're not willing or unable to afford any downward adjustment, I suggest that you go to court. If the alimony check is important to you that is. After all, it's not as if you have anything else on your plate to do and it gives you an opportunity to get out and about.

Good luck!

Last edited:

jennymaz

Tuffbrk seriously? did you just post a reply to vent you're flustration? you must have been hurt real bad, and for that i am sorry, seek therapy, oh wait was that a broad assumption on my part? I'm sorry. If you wanted to dispense advice you should have just stuck with "I suggest that you go to court" thanks for that tidbit of infomation. As for the rest of you're rhetoric...really unnecessary, unwanted, and completely useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">