• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony in Nevada.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jennifer08

Hello, I'm currently getting ready to file for divorce form a marriage 0f 18 yrs, my husband want me to sign a joint non-contested divorce papers. I know I have rights to Alimony so i have told him no but then he uses that money factor as to he wont pay for the rent that we are both on for a lease on a house we currently reside in and he will stop paying for the car payments as well. WE are in a chapter 13 already with the cars in them.
He keeps holding these things against me if I contest the divorse!
I have no career just been a housewife for the past 22 yrs while he has a good city job and makes almost 80k a year, I wont have any medical benifits as well after the divorce, I want to know what if any are my chances of gettign alimony and having the rent paid still along with the Ch 13 that he has always paid for.

ANy help out there would be appriecated!

Thanks!

LdiJ

Hello, I'm currently getting ready to file for divorce form a marriage 0f 18 yrs, my husband want me to sign a joint non-contested divorce papers. I know I have rights to Alimony so i have told him no but then he uses that money factor as to he wont pay for the rent that we are both on for a lease on a house we currently reside in and he will stop paying for the car payments as well. WE are in a chapter 13 already with the cars in them.
I have no career just been a housewife for the past 22 yrs while he has a good city job and makes almost 80k a year, I wont have any medical benifits as well after the divorce, I want to know what if any are my chances of gettign alimony and having the rent paid still along with the Ch 13 that he has always paid for.

Thanks!
Hon, you are going to have to get a job. Even if you get alimony, its not going to be enough for you to live on. His 80k salary won't support two homes plus make chapter 13 payments. That is simply not realistic.

You need to get yourself an attorney. Borrow the money from somewhere.

Silverplum

Thanks!
You've had 22 years of not working. You didn't even bother to get a job to help family finances -- you'd rather go bankrupt.

Enough's enough. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

nextwife

You've had 22 years of not working. You didn't even bother to get a job to help family finances -- you'd rather go bankrupt.

Enough's enough. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I know. Nothing ticks me off more when I am AT WORK than hearing from some Ch 13 or 7 borrower who is stiffing us and complaining how they can't afford the payments yet WON'T WORK to meet their SHARED financial responsibilities to their creditors.

Lady, you consumed housing, products, food and what-all during the marriage. If you and he could not afford to pay your creditors, you had an OBLIGATION to work and assist in paying off your shared debts.

You are obviously oblivious about what it is going to cost to have two seperate households. His income is not going far enough NOW, why do you think it will go FARTHER after you and he are apart and living in two households, with double the bills?

Jennifer08

Alimony in Nevada

Ok well I guess I failed to mention, that I was taken care of my termanilly ill mother with cancer for 5 yrs recently and then we were granted gauardianship for a nephew of ours that I stayed home and cared for for 4 yrs did work small modeling jobs to fill in the gaps while he went to school the whole time to get the carreer he has now. We only filed ch 13 3 yrs ago after getting in debt over his gambling problem here in Vegas.
He will make good on BK as he doesn't want all the creditors to come after him as all creditors are in his name, he just makes the threats.
My real question was**************.. with you being so judgemental was "In a alimony case, he or she who has been paying the bills for the majority of the marraige and was schooled and built a nice income recently and still has the job stability and the money to keep paying be held accountable still for allimony?"
A all attorneys I have had consultations with say yes because I will need to have support for schooling and to help pay for medical benifits that I will no longer have through his city job like I have had for 18 yrs" If alimony isn't for those reasons alone then what the point of making alimony laws?
The lawyers say he has hanicapped me by keeping me at home like the good little wife and now cheating me out of all I supported and did for him over the years for him to build his carreer.

Silverplum

Ok well I guess I failed to mention, that I was taken care of my termanilly ill mother with cancer for 5 yrs recently and then we were granted gauardianship for a nephew of ours that I stayed home and cared for for 4 yrs did work small modeling jobs to fill in the gaps while he went to school the whole time to get the carreer he has now. We only filed ch 13 3 yrs ago after getting in debt over his gambling problem here in Vegas.
He will make good on BK as he doesn't want all the creditors to come after him as all creditors are in his name, he just makes the threats.
My real question was**************.. with you being so judgemental was "In a alimony case, he or she who has been paying the bills for the majority of the marraige and was schooled and built a nice income recently and still has the job stability and the money to keep paying be held accountable still for allimony?"
A all attorneys I have had consultations with say yes because I will need to have support for schooling and to help pay for medical benifits that I will no longer have through his city job like I have had for 18 yrs" If alimony isn't for those reasons alone then what the point of making alimony laws?
The lawyers say he has hanicapped me by keeping me at home like the good little wife and now cheating me out of all I supported and did for him over the years for him to build his carreer.
*sniffle!*

Jennifer08

*sniffle!*
I guess some of you are all for the "support your husband and forget about your own career" then let him leave you with nothing in the end**************...

Thank god we have good judges in this counrty that know the law and make them for a reason!

Jennifer :)

Silverplum

I guess some of you are all for the "support your husband and forget about your own career" then let him leave you with nothing in the end**************...

Thank god we have good judges in this counrty that know the law and make them for a reason!

Jennifer :)
If I'm gonna be thanking the Higher Power for anything, I tend to capitalize His name.

In the meantime, DO tell us ALL ABOUT your exciting career you gave up for 22 years of sitting on your tail!!! We're dying to hear about it!

Jennifer08

Playing the role of the dear sweet "housewife" who did not get to persue her career for 18 yrs of marriage was ok for the most part, being a homemaker is a job within it's self too, but I'm guessing you have no concept of what that might detail correct?

I have tried to work just last year as a Flight Attendant, did my training and before I even was a month into flying I was told of horrible things that would happen to me if I did not get back home and stay in the house as the housewife and do nothing but be there for him and his career, since then I have suffered a lot of physical abuse and TPO's issued out to him, yeah**************... my bad for wanting to work!
I do plan on returning to the Airlines and having a good career, too bad I could not of done this earlier in our marriage nor finish what I started last year, you think I deserved to be pigion held at home to continue to cook and clean up after him because he makes the money all the time?
Agian just happy there are laws out there that protect woman like me in these situations!

Best to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">