• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony Payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lpham13

What is the name of your state? Texas

I got married and divorce in Maryland. We have moved to different states. She is in Nevada and I am in Texas. She has been working for over 5 years. I have been paying alimony for over 10 years. There is no more child support. Here are my questions:
1. Do I go with law in Maryland, Texas, or Nevada in the duration of alimony payment?
2. When can I stop alimony payment?
3. I am currently unemployed and collecting unemployment payments. Do I have to make alimony payment?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Texas

I got married and divorce in Maryland. We have moved to different states. She is in Nevada and I am in Texas. She has been working for over 5 years. I have been paying alimony for over 10 years. There is no more child support. Here are my questions:
1. Do I go with law in Maryland, Texas, or Nevada in the duration of alimony payment?

The law of Maryland as that is where your alimony was set and at this point that controls.

2. When can I stop alimony payment?

When does your divorce decree state it stops?

3. I am currently unemployed and collecting unemployment payments. Do I have to make alimony payment?
Yes. Your divorce decree which orders you to make alimony payments doesn't provide for your unemployment does it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">