• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony payment by me after I REMARRY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greek

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Hello
I'm now obligated to pay spousal support. If I remarry and then lose my ability to pay (loss of job, or different job with dramatically lower pay) will my new wife become obligated to pay?

ThanksWhat is the name of your state?

CJane

Hello
I'm now obligated to pay spousal support. If I remarry and then lose my ability to pay (loss of job, or different job with dramatically lower pay) will my new wife become obligated to pay?

While the court would not order your new spouse to pay your alimony obligation, unless they WERE to issue an order relieving you of your obligation, you would still owe the monies. So, if your new wife is the sole income earner, she'd be paying the alimony to keep you free of contempt charges.

Bali Hai

While the court would not order your new spouse to pay your alimony obligation, unless they WERE to issue an order relieving you of your obligation, you would still owe the monies. So, if your new wife is the sole income earner, she'd be paying the alimony to keep you free of contempt charges.
However, the new wife is in no way obligated to pay the alimony for him.

He could simply refuse to pay the alimony and if the judge wanted to give him free room and board in the crowbar hotel, that's where he might end up.

Gracie3787

Hello

No, a court cannot order a spouse to pay thier spouses alimony.

IF the situation ever happens where you were unable to pay for DOCUMENTED MEDICAL reasons, you would need to file to modify the order. This applies whether you are remarried or not.

AHA

If I remarry and then lose my ability to pay (loss of job, or different job with dramatically lower pay) will my new wife become obligated to pay?
Why would a new marriage mean losing your ability to pay for your previous obligations, are you planning on becoming a househusband sitting on the couch with a bucket of fried chicken in your lap for the rest of your life?

If so, I sure hope the new wife-to-be is aware of that, or you'll be twice divorced in no time.

nextwife

Why would a new marriage mean losing your ability to pay for your previous obligations, are you planning on becoming a househusband sitting on the couch with a bucket of fried chicken in your lap for the rest of your life?

If so, I sure hope the new wife-to-be is aware of that, or you'll be twice divorced in no time.
He's asking if he get's disabled, say, from a brain tumor, (like my dad did), or a stroke, or accident or whatever, AFTER he is remarried, would the courts try to force his new wife to support his ex wife. People do get disabled without becoming "househusbands". My dad never sat around on the couch with fried chicken, he simply lost his language capacity. But he couldn't work without language and while partially paralized. Disabled, or ill, does not equal deadbeat.

AHA

He's asking if he get's disabled, say, from a brain tumor, (like my dad did), or a stroke, or accident or whatever, AFTER he is remarried, would the courts try to force his new wife to support his ex wife. People do get disabled without becoming "househusbands". My dad never sat around on the couch with fried chicken, he simply lost his language capacity. But he couldn't work without language and while partially paralized. Disabled, or ill, does not equal deadbeat.

OP didn't mention anything about health/medical/accidental reasons, what he DID mention, and I quote, was "loss of job, or different job with dramatically lower pay".

ceara19

OP didn't mention anything about health/medical/accidental reasons, what he DID mention, and I quote, was "loss of job, or different job with dramatically lower pay".
I agree. It sounds as if he is trying to find a legal loophole to get out of paying court ordered alimony. He SPECIFICALLY used "(loss of job, or different job with dramatically lower pay)" as examples.

Gracie3787

I was the one who mentioned disability. I was in a hurry, I probably should've explained that deliberately quitting a job or lowering income wouldn't cut it. Well, that's what I get for not being thorough.;)

1sassy1

Anyone paying SS who legitimately has a reduction of income, should always file to reduce SS. If you don't, you are still obligated to pay and the amount will add up. I suspect the court will take a serious look at whether your job change was done to frustrate SS or was a necessity. If you feel you can take a lesser paying job because you are married and your spouse has a good income, the court will likely take a dim view of that. Your ex is going to fight any reduction so if there is any motivation to do this just to reduce SS, you're likely to get caught.

Something to think about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">