• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony payment to my husband?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DiverRN

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. My husband is an alcoholic and we have been drifting apart for years. We have been married 20yrs and he has been unemployed for 1.5 yrs. He had only part time jobs before that. I want to leave him or better yet tell him to leave. Do I have to pay him alimony or any type of payment since I have been supporting him? He currently has no income but does have some skills.

CourtClerk

With a 20 year marriage and you being primarily the sole support... can you say lifetime maintenance?????

That means lifetime alimony.

LdiJ

I agree with CC. Lifetime alimony is certainly possible. Not guaranteed, but possible.

nextwife

And you can't tell the spouse to leave the marital home. He hjas the same legal right to live there as you.

He'd either have to leave voluntarilly or a judge would order one of you out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">