• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbunnyd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS
My ex husband is alwas complaining about how much money he gives me. I feel that he is going to take me to court to stop the alimony payments because I have a boyfriend. What proof will the court need that my residence is not with the boyfriend?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

LdiJ

A lease or deed in your name and a separate lease or deed in his name would be a good start.
True, but lets remember that if the payor is alledging that the payee is cohabitating, then the burden of proof is on the payor, not the payee.

Bali Hai

True, but lets remember that if the payor is alledging that the payee is cohabitating, then the burden of proof is on the payor, not the payee.
That's true and we all know that the proof the payor needs is confidential information making it impossible to present a case to the court.

mistoffolees

That's true and we all know that the proof the payor needs is confidential information making it impossible to present a case to the court.
Not true. It depends on the state rules.

In some states, simply seeing a paramour leaving the home early in the morning for a few consecutive days might be enough.

tuffbrk

In NJ, 3/25/2011, Okoshi Wilson v Wilson Payee claimed it was a Landlord tenant relationship. Payee was barely making ends meet and ex earned 6 figures. Claimed that the Landlord took pity and rented a room with rights to shared living space for $135 wk in cash in addition to household duties.

Payor somehow got the credit card bill summary statement of the Payee. It detailed charges equal to Payee's annual salary - the charges were promptly paid.

Payee was attempting to get Payor to also pay towards college tuition and submitted personal loans that Payee had taken - and also prompty paid off.

Payor is ordered to cover a mere $2k per semester to daughter's tuition (they were estranged). The alimony was terminated. Payee appealed, and apparently both parties have to submit case information statements to determine if the alimony should just be reduced or terminated. Apparently, although it is more than obvious cohabitation has occurred, the Payor did not present evidence of Payee with the Landlord...

Just a little something from Joisey to brighten your day :D

sbunnyd

Thank you all for your great advice and comments. I will have to check out the laws for Kansas so I can be prepared if he does take this to court. I do not have a lease or deed in my name because I have my address at my aunts house. So I will have to do some research.

mistoffolees

Thank you all for your great advice and comments. I will have to check out the laws for Kansas so I can be prepared if he does take this to court. I do not have a lease or deed in my name because I have my address at my aunts house. So I will have to do some research.
Or, better yet, follow the law and the intent of the agreement.

If you're living with the guy alimony should stop. Why should your ex-husband pay alimony while you're shacked up with someone else?

Now, if you really ARE living at your aunt's house and no one is living there with you, your aunt could testify to that effect.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

I think OP clearly told us where she resided, in contrast to where she claims to live. She is trying to use the forum for help in defrauding her ex it appears.

Bali Hai

I think OP clearly told us where she resided, in contrast to where she claims to live. She is trying to use the forum for help in defrauding her ex it appears.
I agree, however, she doesn't need this forum at all, the current alimony laws will help her defraud her ex much more effectively.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">