• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetirisfarm

My husband and I were married 11/12/2011. We were married for a year and six months when I filled for divorce. He cheated but I filled irreconcilable differences because I didn't kick him out for a couple weeks. I'm keeping the house. I lived there since 2005. He moved in with me a few months before we got married. I want to ask for alimony or at least help with half a couple bills because I don't make enough money to pay for everything alone. What are my options? Will I be able to get alimony since I'm keeping the house? The deed and the mortgage loan are in my name not his. Will the fact that he cheated work in my favor? We were nit married long but he made three times what I did while we were together. I don't have money for a lawyer. I could use advice on how to do this myself. Thank you. I live in West Virginia.

Proserpina

My husband and I were married 11/12/2011. We were married for a year and six months when I filled for divorce. He cheated but I filled irreconcilable differences because I didn't kick him out for a couple weeks. I'm keeping the house. I lived there since 2005. He moved in with me a few months before we got married. I want to ask for alimony or at least help with half a couple bills because I don't make enough money to pay for everything alone. What are my options? Will I be able to get alimony since I'm keeping the house? The deed and the mortgage loan are in my name not his. Will the fact that he cheated work in my favor? We were nit married long but he made three times what I did while we were together. I don't have money for a lawyer. I could use advice on how to do this myself. Thank you. I live in West Virginia.

You want alimony for a less-than-2 year old marriage?

Not likely. If I were a gambling gal - and on this one I'd be tempted to throw down a wager - I'd go as far as "not a chance in Hades".

sweetirisfarm

You want alimony for a less-than-2 year old marriage?

Not likely. If I were a gambling gal - and on this one I'd be tempted to throw down a wager - I'd go as far as "not a chance in Hades".
What about half the bills? Credit cards in my name but money we both used. The mortgage I can handle.

ecmst12

How did you afford the bills BEFORE you got married?

Marital debt and marital assets will be split 50-50.

OHRoadwarrior

WV provides for permanent spousal support, which you are very unlikely to get. It also provides for rehabilitative support, to allow a spouse to get back on their feet and obtain employment. You already have employment. It appears time to scale back your style of living to where it was pre-marriage.

Equitable Distribution in West Virginia
West Virginia is an equitable distribution state, meaning the property is divided in a manner the courts find fair and just, not necessarily 50-50. Our property division attorneys are knowledgeable in West Virginia's equitable distribution laws and have helped numerous clients reach fair divorce settlements agreement based on these statutes.
In a divorce, marital property is divided, while separate property is not. Generally speaking, marital property is any property, assets or debt that was obtained during the marriage. Separate property is property that was obtained prior to marriage. Certain property such as inheritances, personal injury compensation and certain types of gifts can also be classified as separate property, even if they were obtained during the marriage.

http://www.carricolaw.com/Divorce-and-Family-Law/Property-Division.shtml

Your previous post said you were divorced in 2011. As this is your second divorce splitting debt, shouldn't you already be familiar with WV divorce laws. :confused:

ecmst12

Your questions were answered. Sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:

LdiJ

What about half the bills? Credit cards in my name but money we both used. The mortgage I can handle.
If the credit card debt accrued during the marriage, therefore making it marital debt, he would be responsible for a share of that debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">