• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trevanian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

So I made an agreement with my soon to be exwife 6 weeks ago, I'm filing next week. The agreement was i would give her 8k from my 401k (already done) and she wanted 6 months of my paychecks, so I agreed. I wanted to keep it friendly so I could remain on good terms with the stepchildren and grandchildren that I am close to. Keep in mind all the children moved out before we were married. So everything seemed fine but now I hear my step kids to give me heads up ( they like me better, different story there) that she might want 300 a month support? Now I make about 8 thousand more than her 41 k vs 50k me, so I'm not long Don Draper or anything you know. We have no house, she got the car ( not paid for yet) and I have no car. So what am I looking at here, besides an ingrate lol. Oh, do I need an attorney for this? I don't want to pay a dime, that was the point of our verbal agreement.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

So I made an agreement with my soon to be exwife 6 weeks ago, I'm filing next week. The agreement was i would give her 8k from my 401k (already done) and she wanted 6 months of my paychecks, so I agreed. I wanted to keep it friendly so I could remain on good terms with the stepchildren and grandchildren that I am close to. Keep in mind all the children moved out before we were married. So everything seemed fine but now I hear my step kids to give me heads up ( they like me better, different story there) that she might want 300 a month support? Now I make about 8 thousand more than her 41 k vs 50k me, so I'm not long Don Draper or anything you know. We have no house, she got the car ( not paid for yet) and I have no car. So what am I looking at here, besides an ingrate lol. Oh, do I need an attorney for this? I don't want to pay a dime, that was the point of our verbal agreement.
We really cannot answer your questions because we do not have enough information. I can tell you that generally you would each be entitled to 1/2 of the assets that accrued during the marriage, and then each responsible for 1/2 of the debts accrued during the marriage.

If you had a long term marriage, the lower earning spouse might also be entitled to some alimony/spousal support. In your case, 300.00 a month would equalize your two salaries, so the figure being mentioned makes sense.

I think though that the more important thing is the division of marital assets. I cannot tell from the little information you have given whether or not its truly equal or whether its in one person's favor or the other's.

trevanian

We had no assets, and I told her she could sell off all the furniture, and my stuff, she made about 2k from craiglisting all of the stuff. The health insurance is through her work, if that makes a difference. After I have to pay for my own health insurance, the income diffence would probably be about 4k.

We really cannot answer your questions because we do not have enough information. I can tell you that generally you would each be entitled to 1/2 of the assets that accrued during the marriage, and then each responsible for 1/2 of the debts accrued during the marriage.

If you had a long term marriage, the lower earning spouse might also be entitled to some alimony/spousal support. In your case, 300.00 a month would equalize your two salaries, so the figure being mentioned makes sense.

I think though that the more important thing is the division of marital assets. I cannot tell from the little information you have given whether or not its truly equal or whether its in one person's favor or the other's.

LdiJ

We had no assets, and I told her she could sell off all the furniture, and my stuff, she made about 2k from craiglisting all of the stuff. The health insurance is through her work, if that makes a difference. After I have to pay for my own health insurance, the income diffence would probably be about 4k.
You do not understand what assets are. Your 401k is an asset. The car is an asset. Any money saved in a bank or brokerage account is an asset. If you own your home its an asset. Health insurance is not an asset.

trevanian

Oh, in that case, I had 18k in my 40k1, of which i gave her 8, and she has about 4 times as me in her 401k. One car she just bought it 3 months ago.

You do not understand what assets are. Your 401k is an asset. The car is an asset. Any money saved in a bank or brokerage account is an asset. If you own your home its an asset. Health insurance is not an asset.

LdiJ

Oh, in that case, I had 18k in my 40k1, of which i gave her 8, and she has about 4 times as me in her 401k. One car she just bought it 3 months ago.
Look, you probably need a consult with a local attorney. There are just too many unanswered questions and you need good advice that cannot be given without more information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">