• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony Responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ttlaff

What is the name of your state? I live in Florida, where I was married and where I also got divorced, after 23 years of marriage. I was ordered in my divorce agreement to pay my ex $300 per week in alimony for life, unless she remarries or co-habitates. I have two questions.
First, if I loose my job and loose the salary level which determined the alimony amount, or if she gets a better job making more then she did at the time of our divorce, can I have my alimony amount adjusted?
Second, I intend to remarry soon, is my new wife's salary susceptible to alimony attachment, if so how do I insulate her income from my ex-wife talons.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? I live in Florida, where I was married and where I also got divorced, after 23 years of marriage. I was ordered in my divorce agreement to pay my ex $300 per week in alimony for life, unless she remarries or co-habitates. I have two questions.
First, if I loose my job and loose the salary level which determined the alimony amount, or if she gets a better job making more then she did at the time of our divorce, can I have my alimony amount adjusted?
Second, I intend to remarry soon, is my new wife's salary susceptible to alimony attachment, if so how do I insulate her income from my ex-wife talons.
If your order does not state that the alimony is non modifiable, and if you have an INVOLUNTARY loss of income you can file for a modification.

No, your new spouse's income cannot be garnished. However, if you were to fall into arrears any joint accounts or assests can be seized. It's better to keep all monies and assets seperate just in case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">