• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony - statute of limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pstof

What is the name of your state? MI
Well,actually I have been living in NC since 1996 and was divorced under MI law.
We did a separation agreement and a sort of DIY divorce, though it was legal. I agreed to pay alimony and did so for about 2 years. I agreed to pay a certain figure each month based on my ability to do so but, like an idiot, did not put a remarriage clause in the agreement. I found out from a friend that she had remarried a year previously (why are we always the last to know?), had two incomes based on my one. I had prviously offered her a settlement of of about $2k less than the total if she wanted it all at once, but she declined on the grounds that she'd spend it all rather than put it in an IRA. (this was about 6 months after the divorce).

I petitioned the court to void the alimony as she now had 2 incomes and was still recieving my support. Judge ruled against me. I told ex that she would not get another cent off me and I have not payed it since. Having consulted a couple of divorce attorneys in NC I have found that in this state even co-habitation would void alimony regardless of what was in the divorce papers. There then followed several years of silence and over a period of a couple of years we started comminicating again - we do have a, now, grown daughter. In July of 2005 my ex visited me in NC and although still married, she was in the process of divorce from #2. We went through a period of talking about getting back together and had a short affair. During this time she told me she had found a lawyer in NC that was prpared to take her case, but at that time I had not payed her anything and were deciding if we should reconcile or not.

Although the reconcilliation did not work out we still communicate,however, a couple of weeks ago she made a comment about settling the alimony business. I ignored the comment and it was not brought up again.

There seem to be statures of limitation to a lot of things these days but does one apply to alimony. We've been divorced 10 years, for 8 of those ten I have not paid alimony, does this ever end? Has anyone any similar experiences, I know state law is very different everywhere you go and MI is till in the Dark Ages with regard to family law?What is the name of your state?

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state? MI
Well,actually I have been living in NC since 1996 and was divorced under MI law.

Irrelevant. (that's legal terminalogy for who cares)

We did a separation agreement and a sort of DIY divorce, though it was legal. I agreed to pay alimony and did so for about 2 years.

That was stupid.

I agreed to pay a certain figure each month based on my ability to do so but, like an idiot, did not put a remarriage clause in the agreement. I found out from a friend that she had remarried a year previously (why are we always the last to know?),

I hope that was a facetious question.

had two incomes based on my one. I had prviously offered her a settlement of of about $2k less than the total if she wanted it all at once, but she declined on the grounds that she'd spend it all rather than put it in an IRA. (this was about 6 months after the divorce).

You are losing me.

I petitioned the court to void the alimony as she now had 2 incomes and was still recieving my support. Judge ruled against me.

Did you expect otherwise??

I told ex that she would not get another cent off me and I have not payed it since. Having consulted a couple of divorce attorneys in NC I have found that in this state even co-habitation would void alimony regardless of what was in the divorce papers.

Well get the alimony voided then.

There then followed several years of silence and over a period of a couple of years we started comminicating again - we do have a, now, grown daughter.

Irrelevant.

In July of 2005 my ex visited me in NC and although still married, she was in the process of divorce from #2. We went through a period of talking about getting back together and had a short affair. During this time she told me she had found a lawyer in NC that was prpared to take her case, but at that time I had not payed her anything and were deciding if we should reconcile or not.

Irrelevant.

Although the reconcilliation did not work out we still communicate,however, a couple of weeks ago she made a comment about settling the alimony business. I ignored the comment and it was not brought up again.

Irrelevant.

There seem to be statures of limitation to a lot of things these days but does one apply to alimony.

No, pay up.

We've been divorced 10 years, for 8 of those ten I have not paid alimony, does this ever end?

No.

Has anyone any similar experiences, I know state law is very different everywhere you go and MI is till in the Dark Ages with regard to family law?What is the name of your state?
Women expect and the courts order alimony (vaginamony) in every state.

Next question.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OP you are in contempt. NC law does not apply to your alimony. MI law retains jurisdiction. She can take you back to court for contempt since you have not paid. How was your alimony clause written? Was it modifiable? What causes it to terminate? Word for word write it here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">