• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony and Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Miss Virgo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii
Am I qualified to file alimony on my ex-husband disability income even if he got the custody of our kids sinced I'm unemployed and still unmarried?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

Am I qualified to file alimony on my ex-husband disability income even if he got the custody of our kids sinced I'm unemployed and still unmarried?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You are already divorced?

Your husband's income is from SSDI?

And HE has custody of your children?

Please confirm.

mistoffolees

Ex-husband means you're already divorced. What does the divorce decree say about alimony? If it says that you can file later, then you might have a chance. But probably not. Alimony almost always has to be requested in the initial divorce proceedings.

And even if you could, I can't believe you'd get much. He's supporting kids on SSDI - and you apparently aren't providing any support to the kids. You want to take MORE money from him? Great parenting skills.

You're going to need to go out and get a job. If you try to collect alimony, he may well come back and get an order for child support. Even if you're not working, an income can be imputed to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">