• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony termination contempt of court issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beenduped

What is the name of your state (georgia)?

I am seeking to end alimony based on Cohabitation with lover.

I am certain they are living together for a minimum of a year, she doesn't deny they are together, even her attorney does not deny they live together... and my adult children admit they are a couple.. and we have had her investigated. .. I have the proof needed for court.

During that year I lost my job, and went 7 months without pay, I (at the time was unaware of her living circumstances).. I communicated to her the hardship and informed her that I would be unable to pay her alimony until I found comparable job, but that I would do everything in my power to continue to pay all her credit cards 40k worth!(which was also part of the divorce agreement) to keep her credit good, and that I had every intention of making her whole on the alimony not paid once I was back on my feet. She conveyed that she understood the situation and was ok with this. .. I have since gotten another job and have begun paying her again.. the first couple of months it was lower than the order, I told her I would be sending more as I was paid more.. and it is documented well that while I did not send the full 3k/mo, that I DID send her money and DID in good faith start to increase her payments as I paid off the debt I had incurred during the 7 months I was not working... I can also show the courts that I can account for every penny spent during the months I was not paying her in full and show that while I may not have been able to pay her her monthly wage, I was doing everything I could to keep the credit afloat at the demise of mine, my bank accounts were going under, I had get loans from friends and family members to help, so that I didn't let her credit go .. Again, She was informed and agreed. .. I considered going to court to modify on hardships.. but didn't because I HONESTLY had every intention of making her whole as soon as possible, and I do believe that we can effectively argue this as it is evident I let MY credit go under before letting hers and I have the emails from her saying she understood, and it is obvious that once I began paying her, the I have increased it monthly trying to get back to her original... with the intention that once I got a bonus check it would be hers to cover the difference. I do not.. or at least would hope, that a judge will be able to see I was not trying to escape alimony and that I was in good faith trying to do everything possible.. in hindsight I wish I had notified the courts.. but honestly, I believed her when she said she would work with me, and I honestly had no Idea it would take me that long to gain good employment. ... hindsight is clear.. oh well.

SO.. fast forward to now, It came to light via social media she was back together with a boyfriend that she had been engaged to prior to our marriage. After months of investigating, we got the evidence that they had been living together since at least a year that we can prove, and we actually believe it was one month prior to our divorce being final... We also have proof now that she went to great lengths to hide her arrangement knowing that it would be grounds for me to seek to end alimony based on cohabitation laws in georgia..

So what we have here is a guy, that in good faith wanted to make sure she was ok.. but got in a financial situation that caused a bit of hardship, that I did everything in my power to keep her abreast of, I went without (and can show it) to cover as much of her stuff as possible.. and a woman here that was doing everything in HER power to cover up her situation so that she could continue to take money from me while living with her lover... this is not theory, we have lined up plenty of people who can testify to it. .. I really have been thorough with that.

So we have our first hearing.. she is countering my attempt to seek modification of alimony with a contempt of court charge for failure to comply with alimony and seeking all the money I did not pay while out of work. In the hearing they were nasty, they said they were pushing to take me to trial over this... (even though they were intentionally hiding they were cohabitating, which had I been aware, I would have been seeking to end alimony before the job situation ever even came to light)

Now, here's the thing.. we were both given interrogatories for the other sides.. I complied, turned over everything at the hearing.... she of course did not comply and turned in next to nothing... so my attorney is filing a motion to compel.

I have been completely compliant here, she also has a history of not complying.. she didn't comply with discovery during the divorce.. but again, I was naive and thought she had nothing to hide and it would be a waste of money to press... we are now discovering evidence to support that she was seeing this man before I ever moved out.. but that is another story.

So my question is this... I have been reading that different states seem to view cohabitation in different lights... and I do know that Georgia does have the "live in lover" law as grounds to terminate alimony.... .. Is anyone here familiar with the general tone of that in Georgia.?.. My attorney says he has never lost a case for terminating alimony based on cohabitation, and he had never gone into a case with as much evidence as me.. so that is comforting.. but we have a new judge that is new to family law..so we can't find out really how he rules on things yet.

We are filing a motion to compel with her, but in general, and I realize there are variable for everything.. but in general., .. how do the courts view people that refuse to answer the interrogatories?.. and they were very pertinent questions to the case.. simple things like .. WHEN did you begin living with this man, and do you share expenses... she can't argue to object on them being irrelevant to the case.

I do have council, but i am here because I feel that my attorney is not paying close attention to the details of my case, and he sends things to OC without me seeing them first and I just feel like I have no control over this and can't afford to lose, nor does it seem fair.. I just feel completely duped!.. I really am a good guy that was trying to do the right thing, and finding out she was intentionally scamming me has crushed me.. but I can't continue to be a doormat and I can't afford to keep paying her, heck I can't afford to do anything anymore.. I need some guidance.. and really just a little insight on what courts generally look at in situations like this.. are they black and white?.. or do they look at all the variables such as the paper trail that I kept showing my good faith to do the best I could... and the fact that she was intentionally decieving me to keep having money flow into their home?

What would You expect, what should I be doing.. I wish I could switch attorneys to one that is more communicative with me, but I frankly can't afford to jump ship at this point and feel uncertain as to my next move or expectations... What I am hoping is to end alimony and not owe her.. if anything I would hope the judge will look at the situation and realize that she was scamming me and award me retroactive alimony from the beginning of this cover up.. but I'd be happy to just be done. I just am shocked at how naive I've been in believing she was alone and sad and destitute and bending over backward , going without, and paying to the best of my ability while she and her boyfriend have been going on vacations, and opening a business!.. feeling really duped and needing an understanding of the laws and how judges view things.

single317dad

Is there a question in there?

Your goal seems pretty simple: Prove cohabitation to the satisfaction of the court, per OCGA §19-6-19:

(b) Subsequent to a final judgment of divorce awarding periodic payment of alimony for the support of a spouse, the voluntary cohabitation of such former spouse with a third party in a meretricious relationship shall also be grounds to modify provisions made for periodic payments of permanent alimony for the support of the former spouse. As used in this subsection, the word "cohabitation" means dwelling together continuously and openly in a meretricious relationship with another person, regardless of the sex of the other person. In the event the petitioner does not prevail in the petition for modification on the ground set forth in this subsection, the petitioner shall be liable for reasonable attorney's fees incurred by the respondent for the defense of the action.
Therefore, prove the meretricious relationship. I'd wager that whatever proof or testimony you have doesn't rise to that level.

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (georgia)?

I am seeking to end alimony based on Cohabitation with lover.

I am certain they are living together for a minimum of a year, she doesn't deny they are together, even her attorney does not deny they live together... and my adult children admit they are a couple.. and we have had her investigated. .. I have the proof needed for court.

During that year I lost my job, and went 7 months without pay, I (at the time was unaware of her living circumstances).. I communicated to her the hardship and informed her that I would be unable to pay her alimony until I found comparable job, but that I would do everything in my power to continue to pay all her credit cards 40k worth!(which was also part of the divorce agreement) to keep her credit good, and that I had every intention of making her whole on the alimony not paid once I was back on my feet. She conveyed that she understood the situation and was ok with this. .. I have since gotten another job and have begun paying her again.. the first couple of months it was lower than the order, I told her I would be sending more as I was paid more.. and it is documented well that while I did not send the full 3k/mo, that I DID send her money and DID in good faith start to increase her payments as I paid off the debt I had incurred during the 7 months I was not working... I can also show the courts that I can account for every penny spent during the months I was not paying her in full and show that while I may not have been able to pay her her monthly wage, I was doing everything I could to keep the credit afloat at the demise of mine, my bank accounts were going under, I had get loans from friends and family members to help, so that I didn't let her credit go .. Again, She was informed and agreed. .. I considered going to court to modify on hardships.. but didn't because I HONESTLY had every intention of making her whole as soon as possible, and I do believe that we can effectively argue this as it is evident I let MY credit go under before letting hers and I have the emails from her saying she understood, and it is obvious that once I began paying her, the I have increased it monthly trying to get back to her original... with the intention that once I got a bonus check it would be hers to cover the difference. I do not.. or at least would hope, that a judge will be able to see I was not trying to escape alimony and that I was in good faith trying to do everything possible.. in hindsight I wish I had notified the courts.. but honestly, I believed her when she said she would work with me, and I honestly had no Idea it would take me that long to gain good employment. ... hindsight is clear.. oh well.

SO.. fast forward to now, It came to light via social media she was back together with a boyfriend that she had been engaged to prior to our marriage. After months of investigating, we got the evidence that they had been living together since at least a year that we can prove, and we actually believe it was one month prior to our divorce being final... We also have proof now that she went to great lengths to hide her arrangement knowing that it would be grounds for me to seek to end alimony based on cohabitation laws in georgia..

So what we have here is a guy, that in good faith wanted to make sure she was ok.. but got in a financial situation that caused a bit of hardship, that I did everything in my power to keep her abreast of, I went without (and can show it) to cover as much of her stuff as possible.. and a woman here that was doing everything in HER power to cover up her situation so that she could continue to take money from me while living with her lover... this is not theory, we have lined up plenty of people who can testify to it. .. I really have been thorough with that.

So we have our first hearing.. she is countering my attempt to seek modification of alimony with a contempt of court charge for failure to comply with alimony and seeking all the money I did not pay while out of work. In the hearing they were nasty, they said they were pushing to take me to trial over this... (even though they were intentionally hiding they were cohabitating, which had I been aware, I would have been seeking to end alimony before the job situation ever even came to light)

Now, here's the thing.. we were both given interrogatories for the other sides.. I complied, turned over everything at the hearing.... she of course did not comply and turned in next to nothing... so my attorney is filing a motion to compel.

I have been completely compliant here, she also has a history of not complying.. she didn't comply with discovery during the divorce.. but again, I was naive and thought she had nothing to hide and it would be a waste of money to press... we are now discovering evidence to support that she was seeing this man before I ever moved out.. but that is another story.

So my question is this... I have been reading that different states seem to view cohabitation in different lights... and I do know that Georgia does have the "live in lover" law as grounds to terminate alimony.... .. Is anyone here familiar with the general tone of that in Georgia.?.. My attorney says he has never lost a case for terminating alimony based on cohabitation, and he had never gone into a case with as much evidence as me.. so that is comforting.. but we have a new judge that is new to family law..so we can't find out really how he rules on things yet.

We are filing a motion to compel with her, but in general, and I realize there are variable for everything.. but in general., .. how do the courts view people that refuse to answer the interrogatories?.. and they were very pertinent questions to the case.. simple things like .. WHEN did you begin living with this man, and do you share expenses... she can't argue to object on them being irrelevant to the case.

I do have council, but i am here because I feel that my attorney is not paying close attention to the details of my case, and he sends things to OC without me seeing them first and I just feel like I have no control over this and can't afford to lose, nor does it seem fair.. I just feel completely duped!.. I really am a good guy that was trying to do the right thing, and finding out she was intentionally scamming me has crushed me.. but I can't continue to be a doormat and I can't afford to keep paying her, heck I can't afford to do anything anymore.. I need some guidance.. and really just a little insight on what courts generally look at in situations like this.. are they black and white?.. or do they look at all the variables such as the paper trail that I kept showing my good faith to do the best I could... and the fact that she was intentionally decieving me to keep having money flow into their home?

What would You expect, what should I be doing.. I wish I could switch attorneys to one that is more communicative with me, but I frankly can't afford to jump ship at this point and feel uncertain as to my next move or expectations... What I am hoping is to end alimony and not owe her.. if anything I would hope the judge will look at the situation and realize that she was scamming me and award me retroactive alimony from the beginning of this cover up.. but I'd be happy to just be done. I just am shocked at how naive I've been in believing she was alone and sad and destitute and bending over backward , going without, and paying to the best of my ability while she and her boyfriend have been going on vacations, and opening a business!.. feeling really duped and needing an understanding of the laws and how judges view things.

The Georgia statute provides that these factors must be present in order to terminate based on cohabitation and it's not so easy as it might seem:

(1) open and continuous cohabitation, and either
(2) sexual intercourse between the former spouse and the live-in lover; or
(3) proof of shared living expenses

Here's an example:

"In the case of Daniels v. Daniels, 258 Ga. 791, 374 S.E.2d 735 (1989), the evidence showed that the former spouse and the live-in lover had a child together. However, the evidence was only sufficient to prove periodic sexual encounters. Thus, evidence was not sufficient to prove that the parties dwelled together "continuously or openly". Accordingly, the relationship failed to meet the requirement for modification of permanent alimony under O.C.G.A. § 19-6-19(b)."

There, we have a live-in lover who had a child with the petitioner's ex - they had a child for crying out loud! - but it still wasn't enough to meet the requirements.

Living together is not enough.

Ladyback1

This sounds amazingly a lot like this post:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/alimony-spousal-support-35/alimony-modification-interrogitories-602890.html

single317dad

This sounds amazingly a lot like this post:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/alimony-spousal-support-35/alimony-modification-interrogitories-602890.html
I knew I was having those flashbacks for a reason. And in that thread, Bali summed it up in his own simple way, saying basically what Pro stated so eloquently above.

beenduped

The Georgia statute provides that these factors must be present in order to terminate based on cohabitation and it's not so easy as it might seem:

(1) open and continuous cohabitation, and either
(2) sexual intercourse between the former spouse and the live-in lover; or
(3) proof of shared living expenses

Here's an example:

"In the case of Daniels v. Daniels, 258 Ga. 791, 374 S.E.2d 735 (1989), the evidence showed that the former spouse and the live-in lover had a child together. However, the evidence was only sufficient to prove periodic sexual encounters. Thus, evidence was not sufficient to prove that the parties dwelled together "continuously or openly". Accordingly, the relationship failed to meet the requirement for modification of permanent alimony under O.C.G.A. § 19-6-19(b)."

There, we have a live-in lover who had a child with the petitioner's ex - they had a child for crying out loud! - but it still wasn't enough to meet the requirements.

Living together is not enough.

THEY are definitely living together openly and continuously... we have the proof from the PI and the kids.

Don't really know how you PROVE someone is having sex, however my daughter has stated "he is her emotional support" and they are "Happy together dad" and lets face it..we have photos of them cuddled up in a chair, they were engaged before, I think it is reasonable to infer they are sleeping together

and as far as living expenses.. well she is refusing to comply with the interrogatories to show where her money is going, but hopefully the motion to compel will make that happen, in the meantime the adult daughter flat out told us he was paying the expenses while she pays nothing. .. (she lives there free).. like a married woman would.

Proserpina

I knew I was having those flashbacks for a reason. And in that thread, Bali summed it up in his own simple way, saying basically what Pro stated so eloquently above.

Admittedly I'm completely blown away by the fact that you can have a live-in, have CHILD with the live-in and that's STILL not enough?!

Heck, I want to give a warning:

MEN! Menfolk! The male of the species!*

DON'T GET DIVORCED IN GEORGIA EVER EVER EVER!

Unless you have a wicked prenup.

*because it does tend to be men who end up having to pay, one or two notable exceptions (here at FA) notwithstanding.

Proserpina

THEY are definitely living together openly and continuously... we have the proof from the PI and the kids.
And you can prove that he's not a room-mate...how?

Don't really know how you PROVE someone is having sex, however my daughter has stated "he is her emotional support" and they are "Happy together dad" and lets face it..we have photos of them cuddled up in a chair, they were engaged before, I think it is reasonable to infer they are sleeping together
Cuddling ain't cohabiting. Their engagement was in the past. You need to prove "now".

and as far as living expenses.. well she is refusing to comply with the interrogatories to show where her money is going, but hopefully the motion to compel will make that happen, in the meantime the adult daughter flat out told us he was paying the expenses while she pays nothing. .. (she lives there free).. like a married woman would.
I still think you've got an uphill battle on your hands, if only because of the elements required.

single317dad

I think it is reasonable to infer they are sleeping together
YOU think that, but reasonable inference is not in the statute. It doesn't say anything about a logical conclusion.

I'm on your side here, OP. I'm just saying realistically this isn't the open and shut case you believe it to be.

Don't really know how you PROVE someone is having sex
And there's the weakness in your plan.

Proserpina

YOU think that, but reasonable inference is not in the statute. It doesn't say anything about a logical conclusion.

I'm on your side here, OP. I'm just saying realistically this isn't the open and shut case you believe it to be.

And there's the weakness in your plan.

And it's got to be a habitually continuing (though not continuous) activity.

Proserpina

The seal relations must be habitual? :cool:

I wonder if the purcase of contraceptives can be considered proof of the sex.
Those are obviously water balloons.

On a more serious note, given the actual requirements I wonder if anyone has made a case that because he is paying all of the living expenses, they're not actually sharing the expenses?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
we have photos of them cuddled up in a chair, they were engaged before, I think it is reasonable to infer they are sleeping together
Inferences are not the same as proof.

And... There are photos of me cuddled up with a male who lives in my home. We even sometimes sleep together. But, I do not think ANYone with an ounce of brain matter would infer that we are (a) cohabiting, or (b) having sex. My Mickie is too hairy, and has four legs. Let's not discuss the other male who lives with me.

Bali Hai

Is there a question in there?

Your goal seems pretty simple: Prove cohabitation to the satisfaction of the court, per OCGA §19-6-19:

Therefore, prove the meretricious relationship. I'd wager that whatever proof or testimony you have doesn't rise to that level.
And NEVER will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">