• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am i eligible for alimony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jennifer P

What is the name of your state? California

I was married to my husband June 25, 2006. After marrying him, he was physically and emotionally abusive towards me. Prior to the marriage, i was diagnosed w/ mixed bipolar disorder. November 2007, he was charged with domestic violence. He accepted a plea bargain for disturbing the peace. We reconciled, but separated permanently July 2007. Early August, he had been drinking and called and asked if i could be his designated driver. I went to pick him up, we began arguing and he made death threats against me and became violent. I pressed charges, followed through with the case and it was again plea bargained to disturbing the peace. He was, however ordered to complete his anger management classes and to have no negative contact with me. Our divorce was finalized March 2008. I understand that with short term marriages, typically alimony is not granted. But i also read that they do take into consideration domestic violence, health concerns, the ability to find work, and also a spouse resigning work or education for sake of the marriage. I'm not looking for permanent alimony, but something of the lines of rehabilitation or bridge-the-gap alimony. Also, i was not hospitalized for any of the files charged against him. In other instances of our marriage, he did cause me emotional distress which aggravated my disorder and caused me to suffer from severe depression, and ultimately attempt to take my own life several times during the marriage. Please let me know if i have a case against him. It has been very problematic for me to obtain a job at the same level of salary, for several emotional reasons as well as the current job market.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Very doubtful you will get any alimony. If he's abusive, you should be glad not to be tied to him anymore in any way, shape or form.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You will get NO alimony for any reason. Your divorce is finalized. If you wanted alimony you should have asked during the pendency of the precedings. You didn't.

Get counseling and go work at McDonald's if you have to.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? California

I was married to my husband June 25, 2006. After marrying him, he was physically and emotionally abusive towards me. Prior to the marriage, i was diagnosed w/ mixed bipolar disorder. November 2007, he was charged with domestic violence. He accepted a plea bargain for disturbing the peace. We reconciled, but separated permanently July 2007. Early August, he had been drinking and called and asked if i could be his designated driver. I went to pick him up, we began arguing and he made death threats against me and became violent. I pressed charges, followed through with the case and it was again plea bargained to disturbing the peace. He was, however ordered to complete his anger management classes and to have no negative contact with me. Our divorce was finalized March 2008. I understand that with short term marriages, typically alimony is not granted. But i also read that they do take into consideration domestic violence, health concerns, the ability to find work, and also a spouse resigning work or education for sake of the marriage. I'm not looking for permanent alimony, but something of the lines of rehabilitation or bridge-the-gap alimony. Also, i was not hospitalized for any of the files charged against him. In other instances of our marriage, he did cause me emotional distress which aggravated my disorder and caused me to suffer from severe depression, and ultimately attempt to take my own life several times during the marriage. Please let me know if i have a case against him. It has been very problematic for me to obtain a job at the same level of salary, for several emotional reasons as well as the current job market.
No********************************************************

nextwife

Good grief. You are only talking a marriage in which you were together basically a YEAR? Get real, there is no way he should have had to pay SS for a marriage that's shorter than the period of time some packages are in one's freezer!

Bali Hai

Good grief. You are only talking a marriage in which you were together basically a YEAR? Get real, there is no way he should have had to pay SS for a marriage that's shorter than the period of time some packages are in one's freezer!
But,But,But,But, that was the way I raised and my expectation!!!:mad::mad:

If I stuck it out longer than a year would I get money for nothing??? How long does it take????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">