• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am i eligible for spousal support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skroy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I was married for 10 years my husband moved me to SC for 5 months and left me and my son there (not biologically his son) with no money and not knowing anyone. He left to move to Washington to be with a girlfriend he found online. I may have worked combined maybe a year in our marriage because he just wanted me to stay home and take care of the house. I guess my question is do you think I am eligible for spousal support he says that he doesn't think I am, the only education I have is a GED and have worked in retail in the past. Thank you for any answers you may have

Isis1

I was married for 10 years my husband moved me to SC for 5 months and left me and my son there (not biologically his son) with no money and not knowing anyone. He left to move to Washington to be with a girlfriend he found online. I may have worked combined maybe a year in our marriage because he just wanted me to stay home and take care of the house. I guess my question is do you think I am eligible for spousal support he says that he doesn't think I am, the only education I have is a GED and have worked in retail in the past. Thank you for any answers you may have
you were able to support yourself prior. so i hope you are job hunting now. wait around for whether or not your marriage is termed long term or not to qualify. some states are 5 years for a short term support, some are ten years for a long term support and some are more years of marriage for life time support.

LdiJ

With a 10 year marriage its quite likely that you would be able to get some short term spousal support...depending on what kind of income he has.

However, its not going to be enough to support you and your son, so you need to be finding work ASAP. You also may want to consider going to school, so that you can better support yourself in the future. You would likely qualify for a lot of assistance to do so.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How is this an OHIO case? If you are right about that then Ohio normally does a 3 to 1 ratio. You may have the ability of receiving three years of spousal support depending on various other factors.

skroy

This an OHIO case because we are both originally from OHIO so when he left me there, with my mothers help I was able to move back to OHIO. Thank you for all the advice everyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">