• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled to Alimony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JennieS117

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have only been married for a little over two years. I have a one year old with my husband, whom I am asking for sole custody of. My husband is in the military and is never around. He has been moved out for over 2 months, where for some of that time period I was not only taking care of our daughter I was taking care of his son he had with a previous relationship. My step son is now back with his biological mother, so it is just my daughter and I. I do not currently have a job right now, I am in the middle of weaning my daughter from nursing. So basically all I am getting out of this marriage is my daughter. My husband took everything else. I know we have not been married very long but am I entitled to alimony?

JennieS117

nextwife

I have only been married for a little over two years. I have a one year old with my husband, whom I am asking for sole custody of. My husband is in the military and is never around. He has been moved out for over 2 months, where for some of that time period I was not only taking care of our daughter I was taking care of his son he had with a previous relationship. My step son is now back with his biological mother, so it is just my daughter and I. I do not currently have a job right now, I am in the middle of weaning my daughter from nursing. So basically all I am getting out of this marriage is my daughter. My husband took everything else. I know we have not been married very long but am I entitled to alimony?

JennieS117
No.

WAYYYYY too short a marriage.

If he was supporting the household, why would taking care of his son be so outrageous? Was he paying for housing, etc, during that time?

You are entitled to half the MARITAL assets, and half the MARITAL debts. So, for example, assets he brought TO the marriage are his, and the reverse is true for you.

Last edited:

LdiJ

You would not be entitled to alimony with such a short term marriage. However the military would expect him to provide a percentage of his BAH/BAS to you until you are actually divorced. Contact his command.

moburkes

JennieS117
You can wean your daughter while working.

Bali Hai

JennieS117
He is absolutely right to give you the boot now. Good for him! You're one of those that expects to be "taken care of".

myv6mustang

You would not be entitled to alimony with such a short term marriage. However the military would expect him to provide a percentage of his BAH/BAS to you until you are actually divorced. Contact his command.

This all is dependent on which branch of the service he is in. Some branches dont require this for example the Airforce doesnt require it you to give them part of your BAH. I just went thourgh something like this. Short marriage no kids but i still pay spousal support to a woman who has the same bachelors degree i have.

Marriage was 3 yrs one of which was spent seperated

tuffbrk

Pay spousal support after 3 yrs of marriage? There are no kids? She has the same education as you? Whhaat??? Hopefully it was limited duration and not permanent!

Sue your attorney Dude!!

mlane58

This all is dependent on which branch of the service he is in. Some branches dont require this for example the Airforce doesnt require it you to give them part of your BAH. I just went thourgh something like this. Short marriage no kids but i still pay spousal support to a woman who has the same bachelors degree i have.

Marriage was 3 yrs one of which was spent seperated
You are wrong! The Air Force as well as the other services do require it for child support. Since you didn't have any kids, it isn't required.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">