• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled to alimony/spousal support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

And an alimony thread just wouldn't be an alimony thread without Bali. :D

OP - Read other threads in this section - it's painfully clear you haven't done so, and it's equally clear that you shouldn't expect to receive alimony.

Don't come back with a million what-ifs; you appear to be smart enough to do a bit of your own research so I suggest you go forth and multiply your research efforts.

So to speak.
God NO!! OP would expect her ex to support her multiplying! :p

Product of the non-consummated (sp?) marriage and all. ;)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm going to make this as clear as I possibly can.

No. You are not entitled to alimony or any form of spousal support.

Yes. It would be a big fight, and one that you would almost certainly lose. The only reason I say "almost" is that I dislike superlatives; it should not be interpreted to mean you have a snowball's chance in heck of getting it.

I hope that this is now clear. If you still have any questions on the subject, please address them to your paid attorney.

Peter Mark

You are self supportive. Just get the divorce and go your own way.

MY question if a spouse him/she who support by own if they desired to divorce mutually there is no necessity for alimony. If anything lacks by not able to support by Own under this circumstance they look for alimony or not?

Just Blue

MY question if a spouse him/she who support by own if they desired to divorce mutually there is no necessity for alimony. If anything lacks by not able to support by Own under this circumstance they look for alimony or not?
Is English your second language?

Peter Mark

Is English your second language?

Why Bro' what I mean to say is divorce by mutually separation may also look for alimony ah? Both can support by their own they don't need look for someone help in these circumstances if they proceed divorce may claim alimony or not?

Proserpina

Why Bro' what I mean to say is divorce by mutually separation may also look for alimony ah? Both can support by their own they don't need look for someone help in these circumstances if they proceed divorce may claim alimony or not?
Mutual separation by no means equates to both parties being able to financially support themselves, nor does it equate to the presumption that one party should support the other if the other is unable.

Now. What's the name of your other hat?

Peter Mark

Mutual separation by no means equates to both parties being able to financially support themselves, nor does it equate to the presumption that one party should support the other if the other is unable.

Now. What's the name of your other hat?

MY question is if both are self supportive they choose the way their own if they look for divorce? There is a need for alimony or not.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In a divorce, neither party is required to ask for alimony. The judge won't force it on them.

Peter Mark

In a divorce, neither party is required to ask for alimony. The judge won't force it on them.

if a spouse who is self supportive, she can manage their life own. if she looks to cheat his spouse by asking alimony. If this a situation, how can we proceed by law?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Asking is not getting. If someone asks for alimony and the judge does not think that person is entitled to it, the judge will simply say, No. No laws have been violated. One is allowed to ask.

LdiJ

if a spouse who is self supportive, she can manage their life own. if she looks to cheat his spouse by asking alimony. If this a situation, how can we proceed by law?
It is not that simple. There are many factors involved in determining whether or not alimony is to be paid. The length of the marriage, the income of each spouse, the health of each spouse, the division of marital assets, etc. No one looks to "cheat" a spouse by asking the judge to determine if alimony should be paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">