• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled to alimony/spousal support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phonewrecker

New York

I was married for almost 8 years to my spouse, we have no kids, we have been separated for almost 2 years and living apart for (he has his own place) for well over a year, almost 2. I have remained in the same apartment we had, I pay the rent by myself now and I have employment, I no longer depend on him for financial support. Does this mean I will not be granted alimony? We also (and this is full disclosure) never consummated our marriage, I have been told that this could hurt my chances too. We no longer file taxes together and he has a reasonable job/income but is not an exceptionally high earner, under 100k a year. is it worth even asking for alimony? Furthermore if he files for divorce do I stand a better chance of alimony/spousal support or should I file first to give myself better (if any) odds of support. We were married and have lived in New York City for the entirety of our relationship.We own no property (we both rent) and we have no savings or shared investments.

Last edited:

Just Blue

New York

I was married for almost 8 years to my spouse, we have no kids, we have been separated for almost 2 years and living apart for (he has his own place) for well over a year, almost 2. I have remained in the same apartment we had, I pay the rent by myself now and I have employment, I no longer depend on him for financial support. Does this mean I will not be granted alimony? We also (and this is full disclosure) never consummated our marriage, I have been told that this could hurt my chances too. We no longer file taxes together and he has a reasonable job/income but is not an exceptionally high earner, under 100k a year. is it worth even asking for alimony? Furthermore if he files for divorce do I stand a better chance of alimony/spousal support or should I file first to give myself better (if any) odds of support. We were married and have lived in New York City for the entirety of our relationship.We own no property (we both rent) and we have no savings or shared investments.
You are self supportive. Just get the divorce and go your own way.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
New York

Really, really doubtful you'll get SS.

phonewrecker

Why would you? Do you have an attorney to "fight" for you?
I intend to hire one to do the paper work etc....I just don't want to go down a rabbit hole of spending money only to find out it isnt worth it, furthermore, I think he is going to divorce me if that makes any difference.

Just Blue

I intend to hire one to do the paper work etc....I just don't want to go down a rabbit hole of spending money only to find out it isnt worth it, furthermore, I think he is going to divorce me if that makes any difference.
May I ask why you are determined to get SS? If there a reason that I just don't get? :confused:

phonewrecker

May I ask why you are determined to get SS? If there a reason that I just don't get? :confused:
I just want to know if I am entitled and how hard it would be to get, if I am entitled I don't see why I should not receive the support. I could use the cash. My standard of living is a little harder as I have to work more to maintain it now.

LdiJ

I just want to know if I am entitled and how hard it would be to get, if I am entitled I don't see why I should not receive the support. I could use the cash. My standard of living is a little harder as I have to work more to maintain it now.
No one is "entitled" to alimony. The purpose of alimony is to allow a spouse time to get on their feet. You are already on your feet.

Just Blue

ROTFLMBO!! Don't we all have to work to maintain a standard of living? :rolleyes:

latigo

New York

I was married for almost 8 years to my spouse, we have no kids, we have been separated for almost 2 years and living apart for (he has his own place) for well over a year, almost 2. I have remained in the same apartment we had, I pay the rent by myself now and I have employment, I no longer depend on him for financial support. Does this mean I will not be granted alimony? We also (and this is full disclosure) never consummated our marriage, I have been told that this could hurt my chances too. We no longer file taxes together and he has a reasonable job/income but is not an exceptionally high earner, under 100k a year. is it worth even asking for alimony? Furthermore if he files for divorce do I stand a better chance of alimony/spousal support or should I file first to give myself better (if any) odds of support. We were married and have lived in New York City for the entirety of our relationship. We own no property (we both rent) and we have no savings or shared investments.
You "was" married? A "relationship"?

Anyway, very revealing that you either was or are married to "your spouse"! Would it then be safe to assume that he was or is also married to "his spouse"?

And about this blissful relationship. Do you address one other by given names, surnames or just "Hey, spouse"? Or is there any need?

But please allow me to reveal something to you. New York's lengthy post divorce maintenance laws (available below) are not written with regard to gender. The point being that you and not he could end up on the pointed end of the stick.

[*] www.jdbar.com/statutes/drl-b

Bali Hai

What makes you wonder if you are entitled to an alimony award? Is that what your mommie told you? An alimony award is not decided by a judge so that you don't have to work to make your life a living pleasure while someone else breaks their butt.

Proserpina

And an alimony thread just wouldn't be an alimony thread without Bali. :D

OP: read other threads in this section - it's painfully clear you haven't done so, and it's equally clear that you shouldn't expect to receive alimony.

Don't come back with a million what-ifs; you appear to be smart enough to do a bit of your own research so I suggest you go forth and multiply your research efforts.

So to speak.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">