• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled to a refund ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How can the person receiving the alimony notify you if the person receiving the alimony is the one who died?

Bali Hai

How can the person receiving the alimony notify you if the person receiving the alimony is the one who died?
My post was regarding a spouse receiving alimony and remarries, not dies. If the receiving spouse dies, I'll go with what tuffbrk posted previously.

Indiana Filer

I have to say that if this situation had crossed my mind during the divorce process I would have requested that the ex's will contain a stipulation that the executor is to notify myself and the Probation Department or accept responsibility to repay any overpaid funds from the "estate." I also would have inquired as to whether Probation does a cross reference with death records prior to disbursing funds. If the answer was no, I would have refused to sign the garnishment paperwork. Refusing the garnishment would have ensured that I would always be aware of my ex's current state of residence, if not their specific address, to simplify tracking their current whereabouts as well as to verify they're still living. As it was, although I declined to sign during mediation, I was ordered to do so at the divorce hearing since I had "no good reason not to." This knowledge would have provided me with at least a leg to stand on.

I'm always learning...love this forum.
Why would the Probation Department be involved? Were you guessing your ex was going to be convicted of crimes and on probation forever?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My post was regarding a spouse receiving alimony and remarries, not dies. If the receiving spouse dies, I'll go with what tuffbrk posted previously.
But the OP was concerned with a death, not a remarriage. If you want to discuss remarriage, open your own thread.

Bali Hai

But the OP was concerned with a death, not a remarriage. If you want to discuss remarriage, open your own thread.
No need for another thread.

No further discussion needed.

OP is now educated on how and why he has to jump through hoops to collect money that is rightfully his because of a system that is not set up properly.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And setting up the system properly, so that all possible affected individuals are notified of a death (which is the OP's issue - yours is irrelevant to the OP's thread) regardless of varying external factors would mean...doing what?

Proserpina

No need for another thread.

No further discussion needed.

OP is now educated on how and why he has to jump through hoops to collect money that is rightfully his because of a system that is not set up properly.

Awww bless.

I'm sure the moderator is perfectly capable of deciding whether or not a thread stays as is, or closes. When you wear that hat, do tell us.

:cool:

Proserpina

And setting up the system properly, so that all possible affected individuals are notified of a death (which is the OP's issue - yours is irrelevant to the OP's thread) regardless of varying external factors would mean...doing what?

Don't mind him. It appears to be alimony check-writing time again, so he might need a few Snickers bars.

:D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You'd think every day was alimony check writing day, to see the way he twists so many threads to his own agenda.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Said person can track down Whoopi Goldberg and sing Henry the 8th until she delivers the message.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">