• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled to a refund ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

USAviator

What is the name of your state ? (Ohio)

Eight years ago I was court ordered to pay $410 a month support.
This money was taken out of my pension. Yesterday I received my monthly statement and it indicated that this money would no longer be deducted , that as of June 1st I am to receive my full pension amount. After investigating the reason , I found that the person had passed away on September 16th, 2013.

My question is:
Am I entitled to a refund for the eight months that someone has been cashing the checks , and/or using the funds from a direct deposit account ? I should mention that while I live in Ohio , the party in question had lived in Yuma Arizona.

Last edited:

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state ? (Ohio)

Eight years ago I was court ordered to pay $410 a month support.
This money was taken out of my pension. Yesterday I received my monthly statement and it indicated that this money would no longer be deducted , that as of June 1st I am to receive my full pension amount. After investigating the reason , I found that the person had passed away on September 16th, 2013.

My question is:
Am I entitled to a refund for the eight months that someone has been cashing the checks , and/or using the funds from a direct deposit account ? I should mention that while I live in Ohio , the party in question had lived in Yuma Arizona.
Was it checks or a direct deposit? Small claims court, preferably Judge Judy.

USAviator

Refund ( Continued )

I've contacted the company that administers my pension and was told that they will be "in touch" with the ex's daughter. Neither that company nor I have a clue as to why they haven't notified me long before this. There is also an issue of the ex receiving money ( social security ) after her death. If this is the case, my guess is that someone will be going to jail , or at least paying a substantial fine.

Proserpina

I've contacted the company that administers my pension and was told that they will be "in touch" with the ex's daughter. Neither that company nor I have a clue as to why they haven't notified me long before this. There is also an issue of the ex receiving money ( social security ) after her death. If this is the case, my guess is that someone will be going to jail , or at least paying a substantial fine.

Slow down.

SSA does not commonly go that far.

Much as it would apparently make you happy.

Bali Hai

There is only one reason why the company or the person fruadulently receiving the funds haven't contacted you. They couldn't care less about your money.

LdiJ

Social Security catches on faster than that. One month overpayment might happen, but that's about it. They get notified when the death certificate gets issued.

Proserpina

Social Security catches on faster than that. One month overpayment might happen, but that's about it. They get notified when the death certificate gets issued.
Only if someone else asks 'em to.

Informing SSI generally falls on the family members. Outside of that some practitioners (be they physicians, coroners etc) will make the calls at the behest of the survivors. That's about it.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0202602050 is fun reading.

LdiJ

Only if someone else asks 'em to.

Informing SSI generally falls on the family members. Outside of that some practitioners (be they physicians, coroners etc) will make the calls at the behest of the survivors. That's about it.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0202602050 is fun reading.
Must vary by state then. When my dad passed away the SSA got notified when his death certificate was issued.

Pinkie39

Must vary by state then. When my dad passed away the SSA got notified when his death certificate was issued.
Must be so, because there was stuff in the news recently about a man in Kentucky, who kept his deceased mom in a freezer for a couple of years, so he could keep collecting her Social Security. The SSA was only alerted when some friends or neighbors because suspicious.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Must be so, because there was stuff in the news recently about a man in Kentucky, who kept his deceased mom in a freezer for a couple of years, so he could keep collecting her Social Security. The SSA was only alerted when some friends or neighbors because suspicious.
If dead-mom was in the freezer, then a death cert wasn't issued.

Pinkie39

Must be so, because there was stuff in the news recently about a man in Kentucky who kept his deceased mom in a freezer for a couple of years, so he could keep collecting her Social Security. The SSA was only alerted when some friends or neighbors because suspicious.
Oops, just reread it. I was wrong. I remember reading initially that someone alerted the SSA. But now I just read that the SSA became suspicious because the woman had had no medical claims in 3 years, which was unusual, given that she was 96.

Pinkie39

If dead-mom was in the freezer, then a death cert wasn't issued.
That's true, duh, I didn't think of that, lol. :eek:

But I think when my retired dad passed away here in Ohio 9 years ago, that my mom had to call the SSA herself, to inform them.

Proserpina

I have no reason to doubt your experience, it's just that most deceased have relatives and they're the ones who report the death.

SSA will only get the death certificate if someone sends it to 'em. The important thing is to report the death since some death certificates can be agonizingly delayed ( you can imagine why :( )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">