• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I obligated to give my information?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trudilea

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I live in New York, my fiance has just moved here from Massachussets. He has been divorced for 6 years and is still obligated to pay his ex wife alimony. She is now going after him for more money stating that because he is getting married his income is increasing. So far, I have been pretty angry and unagreeable, insisting that A) I was never married to her so she is not entitled to anything I have, and B) that I would have to be able to go to a lawyer here in New York as opposed to Massachussets for anything legal or she should have to pay me any expenses to travel as well as my lost wages. Do I have a leg to stand on here or should I just call off the entire wedding???

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I live in New York, my fiance has just moved here from Massachussets. He has been divorced for 6 years and is still obligated to pay his ex wife alimony. She is now going after him for more money stating that because he is getting married his income is increasing. So far, I have been pretty angry and unagreeable, insisting that A) I was never married to her so she is not entitled to anything I have, and B) that I would have to be able to go to a lawyer here in New York as opposed to Massachussets for anything legal or she should have to pay me any expenses to travel as well as my lost wages. Do I have a leg to stand on here or should I just call off the entire wedding???
Well...you certainly have a leg to stand on in that you are not a party to their divorce and have no financial obligation towards his ex. You however are being shortsighted about the attorney. If the case is in MA, you need an MA attorney, not an NY one.

Personally, I would probably call off the wedding. There is too much baggage out there if the ex wife is willing to attempt that.

Ronin

Talk to a NY attorney to clear up your questions and get an understanding of what your position will be after you are married and if you need to take any preemptive actions to legally protect yourself. Worst case is it hits your pocketbook indirectly if your new hubby is assessed higher support payments. Since you are not a party to this suit, nor should you ever be, not much need to concern yourself with being compelled to travel from NY to MA over an alimony dispute.

If you are worked up enough to consider calling off your wedding over this, it does not sound like you are whole-heartedly committed to the marriage thing, at least not in the context of your current relationship.

trudilea

Thanks for the advice. Its not so much the questioning of the marriage as it is the fact that I don't want to support her when she is doing nothing to further her education, seeking any training or doing anything that will help her become self supportive. I can hope that during one of her many trips, she will meet the man of her dreams and then I can live happily ever after!:p

acmb05

Thanks for the advice. Its not so much the questioning of the marriage as it is the fact that I don't want to support her when she is doing nothing to further her education, seeking any training or doing anything that will help her become self supportive. I can hope that during one of her many trips, she will meet the man of her dreams and then I can live happily ever after!:p
Don't count on that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She already met the man of her dreams (at least) once...

As for the financial info - yes you'll probably end up turning it over (after you're married), but you'll be able to hide any personal info (s.s. #, etc)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">