• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amending Spousal Support Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PhoenixRsng

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm In Pro Per. Can anyone tell me how to amend (NOT MODIFY) a SS order? The wrong Smith/Ostler overtime monthly calculation worksheet was attached to the order. The CS order has the right sheet attached to it and captures both CS % and SS % for monthly OT. I just need to add the worksheet to the SS order.

Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

I'm In Pro Per. Can anyone tell me how to amend (NOT MODIFY) a SS order? The wrong Smith/Ostler overtime monthly calculation worksheet was attached to the order. The CS order has the right sheet attached to it and captures both CS % and SS % for monthly OT. I just need to add the worksheet to the SS order.

How recent is the order?

LdiJ

Does the incorrect worksheet effect the amount you would have to pay?

mistoffolees

The hearing was on 4/2011. The order was filed & endorsed 8/2011. There have been no change in circumstances.
That's going to make it more difficult. Usually, you have a short time (30 or 60 days) to correct an error in an order. Once that time has elapsed, it becomes harder.

I'm not very good at procedural things, so I can't tell you how to do it. Someone here may be able to answer you, but if it were me, I'd call the court clerk to explain the situation and ask them what the procedure is. They can't tell you what to do, but if you know what you want to do, they may be able to give you the forms. Or contact the CA court self-help center:
California Courts - Divorce or Separation

PhoenixRsng

That's going to make it more difficult. Usually, you have a short time (30 or 60 days) to correct an error in an order. Once that time has elapsed, it becomes harder.

I'm not very good at procedural things, so I can't tell you how to do it. Someone here may be able to answer you, but if it were me, I'd call the court clerk to explain the situation and ask them what the procedure is. They can't tell you what to do, but if you know what you want to do, they may be able to give you the forms. Or contact the CA court self-help center:
California Courts - Divorce or Separation
Thanks for your assistance!

mistoffolees

Why did it take you four months later to find out about the error? You may be out of luck.
Not that it's any justification, but many people are so happy to be done with their divorce that they don't even look at the documents until they need them - often many years later.

Piece of advice for anyone still going through their divorce: when you receive your final divorce documents, go through them with a fine-toothed comb to make sure they're accurate. In most cases, you can have simple errors corrected very easily if you do it quickly, but not if you delay.

Of course, the same thing applies to any legal documents you sign.

PhoenixRsng

Why did it take you four months later to find out about the error? You may be out of luck.
DCSS found out about the error when they tried to enforce it and advised me to get it amended so that can move forward with collecting smith/ostler. FYI - This is temporary support. The divorce isn't final.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">