• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

amount of alimony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

olnumba1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? north carolina here is the situation i am in. my wife of 12 years decided that she wanted to be independant. we have been living apart now since about february. when we got married i had 2 kids from my previous marriage and she had 3. they all lived with us at one time. at the time of her decision only 2 remained. 1 boy who is disabled age 22 and recieveing ssi benefits. 1 girl who is 17 and will be 18 in october. i never legally adopted any of her children but i consider them all my kids. since the seperation i have been paying at LEAST $250 per week to her. there was no marital misconduct of any kind on either parties part. she is claiming that she should get at least this amount since she cannot make as much as me. i agree that at this point she cannot, however i think the amount is excessive to say the least. i make on average about $4000 a month. after deductions(taxes,health insurance for the family and the like) i bring home about $2800 a month. she is claiming that since she has our disabled son she cannot go to work full time. however she knows that there are programs that are state and federally funded that he qualifies for where workers can come and sit with him for her to do a full time job. she says she wants to go to school to get a degree which of course is fine. my question is does the amount i am paying her seem to be excessive or not?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

double post. please lock one thread so all relevant questions and answers are on the same thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">