• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Awaiting SSDI, no income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jayleeme90

Illinois- I have been married for 2 1/2 years to a man that is 21 years older than me. I worked only part time throughout our marriage and quit in June of this year. I have been diagnosed as having Bipolar Disorder, anxiety, PTSD and a back injury with nerve compression causing a lot of pain. I do not function well, having many days where I don't get out of bed. My husband in not supportive and causes me more anxiety.

I want to get a divorce but cannot afford anything because i have no income. He has been paying the bills for the last year (when he feels like it). Mainly focusing on what he wants-cable, internet, energy- while my car is about to be repossed. My credit is shot as a result. He makes about 42k a year, and carries the health insurance. We have no children together, but i have a child who he insures. He is also trying to file bankruptcy on our marital debt (all in my name) to add insult to injury- I have also posted on that.

Will i be able to get alimony? How much? For how long? :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Illinois- I have been married for 2 1/2 years to a man that is 21 years older than me. I worked only part time throughout our marriage and quit in June of this year. I have been diagnosed as having Bipolar Disorder, anxiety, PTSD and a back injury with nerve compression causing a lot of pain. I do not function well, having many days where I don't get out of bed. My husband in not supportive and causes me more anxiety.

I want to get a divorce but cannot afford anything because i have no income. He has been paying the bills for the last year (when he feels like it). Mainly focusing on what he wants-cable, internet, energy- while my car is about to be repossed. My credit is shot as a result. He makes about 42k a year, and carries the health insurance. We have no children together, but i have a child who he insures. He is also trying to file bankruptcy on our marital debt (all in my name) to add insult to injury- I have also posted on that.

Will i be able to get alimony? How much? For how long? :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
He cannot file bankruptcy ON YOUR DEBT. You would have to file bankruptcy. What medication are you on? Having been married only 2.5 years you cannot count on alimony. You will need to find some way to make ends meet. If you cannot work, have you filed for disability? If you are not disabled you need to get a job. Being bipolar doesn't mean you can't work. What type of back injury do you have?

tuffbrk

Illinois- I have been married for 2 1/2 years to a man that is 21 years older than me. I worked only part time throughout our marriage and quit in June of this year.

I want to get a divorce. He has been paying the bills for the last year (when he feels like it). Mainly focusing on what he wants-cable, internet, energy- while my car is about to be repossed. My credit is shot as a result.

He makes about 42k a year, and carries the health insurance. We have no children together, but i have a child who he insures.

NOW read your post. I edited it. Your credit is shot because you quit your job. Plain and simple. He is insuring you, a child that is not his own and is paying some of the bills. What more do you want from a person you were married to for less than 5 yrs and what do you expect in return for a marriage to which you've barely contributed?

What makes you think you should get spousal support?! From my perspective, you and your child are the only parties that have benefited from the marriage to date. Be thankful for what you received, and continue to receive, from your spouse (like food and shelter) and figure out how you're going to support yourself and your child. Talk about adding insult to injury - the guy is paying insurance for your kid - and you weren't even married 3 yrs!! Have the child's daddy add the child to HIS insurance!!

And by the way - if you're so disabled that you can't go to work, you should have sold or returned your car and cancelled the car insurance to alleviate at least some of the financial burden you've dumped on your spouse.

Grow up - be a responsible adult, figure out how to solve your issues and be a good role model for your child.

Gracie3787

For such a short term marriage you won't be able to get spousal support. Since you have already applied for SSDI, you should talk to your therapist about how to cope staying in your marriage until you recieve your SSDI. Unfortunately, getting SSDI takes awhile, and you can't get benefits for the first 6 months of disability anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">