• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

back alimony and other settlement matters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spapigiotis

I currently reside in Massachusetts. In 1982 I was divorced in California, myex fled the country never went to court and I never heard from him again. In our divorce agreement
I was to recieve 1 year of alimony and other reimbursable expenses. He currently lives in Connecticut. Is there any recourse for me?Can I still go after him for never recieving my settlement?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Was he ever served with the final decree of divorce? If it was an agreement did he sign it? You may be able to go for contempt but the SOL might be done with for waiting 19 years.

spapigiotis

He left the country probably the day after he filed for divorce, no one ever even saw him, or least would not tell me. there was an address for him, but it states that his whereabouts were unknown, so I don't know if he ever even saw the papers. Even if he did, he would have just thrown them away.

LdiJ

He left the country probably the day after he filed for divorce, no one ever even saw him, or least would not tell me. there was an address for him, but it states that his whereabouts were unknown, so I don't know if he ever even saw the papers. Even if he did, he would have just thrown them away.
Take your paperwork and go get a consult with a local attorney. Odds are that the statute of limitations has expired, but it doesn't hurt to get a consult. The main thing to consider however, is whether or not the cost of pursuing him (attorney fees etc) is worth the potential gain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">