• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Benefits for Divorced Widow

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbg111

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I'm a divorced widow who was married from 03-68 to 09-88.
Ex worked for Civil Service.
He divorced me - upon his death (07-2008) I applied for my portion of his retirement benefits. They said I must have a court order to receive the benefits. I don't have that - do I need to go to court and ask for this?
I was of the understanding that an ex could not be written off.
Had I known of the divorce I would have challenged it.

I've also applied to Social Security and was told I qualified but due to "too few quarters" they could not write me a check...??? Waiting for final response.

Thanks for any help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I'm a divorced widow who was married from 03-68 to 09-88.
Ex worked for Civil Service.
He divorced me - upon his death (07-2008) I applied for my portion of his retirement benefits. They said I must have a court order to receive the benefits. I don't have that - do I need to go to court and ask for this?
I was of the understanding that an ex could not be written off.
Had I known of the divorce I would have challenged it.

I've also applied to Social Security and was told I qualified but due to "too few quarters" they could not write me a check...??? Waiting for final response.

Thanks for any help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

YOu have no rights to his retirement unless the court granted you a portion of his retirement. Without a court order you are entitled to NOTHING. Since he was not eligible for Social Security due to not paying in, you can't take against his benefit amount. You will have to retire under your own record. Its been over 20 years since the divorce. You are NOT going to be able to reopen it. Oh and if you divorced him before his death YOU ARE NOT HIS WIDOW.

nextwife

1988 was 21 years ago.

What did you accrue in retirement accounts and SS credits SINCE the divorce? What does your divorce decree award you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">